Page 61 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Yes it does make it easier, I hope.

Mac must have an interesting boot loader.

If Ubuntu is now on sda, I would try running;
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    and see what happens.

If it "takes" and will boot Mac, the default will be Ubuntu as that is the default setting.

Those settings are in /etc/default/grub. This is where your default OS is set and your time out on the screen menu and the hidden menu option which should be commented out because Ubuntu did detect a second OS (hides the bugger if only Ubuntu on the box).

For some reason the commands seem to have better effect when done from inside the OS.

The only thing I can see that could bugger this is the GPT business at the start of your drive. The only way I know to find out is to try it and see.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

ranch hand

The moment I read your comment that Mac must have an interesting bootloader, something clicked for me and I remembered that this was in fact a Mac and therefore must have some stupid difference that makes it incompatible with anything else in the world.

Of course, on this new generation of Mac using the Intel architecture, that difference is Intel's EFI boot system, which in fact isn't a bootloader at all, but a boot information protocal stored as variables in the nvram - which is accessed before the computer looks for any MBR partitions on the hard disks or anything, explaining why the computer automatically jumps to OS X even though it is installed on a slave drive. There are some boot managers around that work with this interface (i.e., rEFIt) but none of them yet support multiple OSs on separate internal hard disks.

I could probably find a way to eliminate this protocal, but now that I know I'd be messing around with the ram, I think I just prefer to leave it as is... It's inelegant, and messy, but I think safer since I am not the only person using the machine, and it will have to still be operable after I leave the lab in just 9 months or so.

That said, I am now selecting the OS before getting to the grub menu, so I would like for grub to just go ahead and load the default Ubuntu without the menu or anything. Do I do this by changing the GRUB_TIMEOUT to 0?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ir926 View Post
    That said, I am now selecting the OS before getting to the grub menu, so I would like for grub to just go ahead and load the default Ubuntu without the menu or anything. Do I do this by changing the GRUB_TIMEOUT to 0?
    Set the default OS in the "GRUB_DEFAULT=" line for the OS you want to boot.

Set the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 (uncommented). One suggestion before you set the GRUB_TIMEOUT to 0: Check to see if the boot process is interruptible with your desired settings. Reboot a working system and hold down the SHIFT key during the initial booting of GRUB 2 to ensure the menu will be displayed.

If you have disabled 30_os-prober, the keystatus check is not performed and you may not be able to display the menu. If the SHIFT interrupt doesn't work, you would probably want to set the GRUB_TIMEOUT to 1 so you can still access the menu if needed. You will momentarily see the boot menu, but it provides a bit of insurance if you need to access the menu.

If seeing the menu bothers you, of course you can live without the interrupt capability as long as you know how to get things running again without accessing the menu.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

The /etc/default/grub file has these entries in the section that you need to edit;
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=100
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="
    You can see that there is one line commented (#) out. Remove that comment and you should have a hidden menu.

You can also see that I have a long time out. I like to see the menu and have time to think (Lots of OS' on here). I believe the time out default is now 10. I would not go lower than 3 (or 5) because if you have problems booting you need time to hit the shift key to bring the menu up so you can edit it if that is where the problem is.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    This is a thread about grub2. You would probably get getter support in the Absolute Beginners Talk portion of the forums.

My question WAS about grub2?! But none the less I'll re-post in ABT section. Thanks!

Beans

drs305 - When I reboot, holding shift does nothing because the Apple EFI loader takes over and it doesn't look for depressed shift. It does look for depressed option, and if I hold that I get to a menu that allows me to choose to boot Ubuntu. If I hold down the shift key after selecting that, the grub menu does come up even when I tried it with the GRUB_TIMEOUT set to zero, so I guess that's as close as I can come to what you were expecting to happen...?

ranch hand - Since both you and drs305 recommended that I leave at least a short time on the menu in case I need it, I went with 3 seconds, which I figure is long enough for someone to react if they need to keep the menu up to get into recovery mode or whatever. Thanks for sticking with me through this. It may not be perfect, but at least we have a working system now. I really appreciate it.

Beans

I am just glad it works.

Someday I may get a chance to actually see a Mac.

Beans

to drs305
    Your explanation of how to GRUB work it is masterpiece. My great thanks to you! You are a Master of GRUB!

Beans

hi,

thx for the info, may you want to add

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    This line imports any entries to the end of the 'linux' line (Grub Legacy's "kernel" line). The entries are appended to the end of the normal mode only. This is similar to the "defoptions" line in menu.lst. For a black screen with boot processes displayed in text, remove "quiet splash". (to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="")

I removed the quotes also and had some issues. So you may can add this clarification.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TiloBunt View Post
    I removed the quotes also and had some issues. So you may can add this clarification.
    The application of quotes in Grub 2 is a bit inconsistent. Some of the entries in /etc/default/grub were released with quotation marks around the variable, while others did not.

For the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, quotation marks are required (single or double) if the entry is more than one alphanumeric entry. For example, quiet splash requires single or double quotes, while an entry such as quiet would not.

I've updated the original post. Thanks for your observation TiloBunt.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 61 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast