Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Yes you are installing grub on the boot MBR when you run "grub-install /dev/ sdwhatever. This is where grub belongs.

There is a partition somewhere on your box that has the actual grub files. This is where you are running the command "grub-install" from.

I find this very handy on my box as I have 4 drives. I can swap the boot/root (the OS with the files running the MBR) around to suit my needs and whims.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 & Grub2 on the same HP 6910P laptop computer where Windows XP Professional had been installed and run for quiet a long time ago.

I encountered the same Grub hanged situation after the first time I rebooted my HP laptop from WinXP.

Then, I studied the post comments and helpful information in this forum and I found downgrading to Grub as described in post #21 of this link -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/441941, matched with my need and it worked for me.

Thanks.

Beans

re #275

@drs305 as promised and anyone interested; rescue floppy created and working ok1.

procedure attached ==> grub2-floppy-setup.txt

floppy contents attached ==> grub2-floppy-contents.txt

nautilus contents ==> grub2-nautilus-content_part.png

floppy properties ==> grub2-floppy0-properties.png

pls note the size on floppy approx 740 Kb - I'd say v elegant, inexpensive and slick (I guess small is beautiful always).

and, to cap it all off, I get the desired sh:grub> prompt if 'c' is entered at grub menu.

grub 1.97 beta4 used from current karmic release.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

peter b,

Thanks for the update and taking the time to document your efforts. I'll add a link in the original to your post.
    Last edited by drs305; February 2nd, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I searched and searched for the answer to the following question: "How do I change the font size in grub2?" It seems that no one on the entire Internet knew!

Well, I did a lot of digging into the grub2 documentation and the scripts bundled with Ubuntu and I finally have the answer!

1. Pick a font you want to use for your menu. I recommend a nice easy-to-read monospace font such as DejaVu Sans Mono (it's in the example below).
    2. Convert the font to grub2's format using the grub-mkfont command, taking the extra step of setting the font size:
      Code:
      sudo grub-mkfont --output=/boot/grub/DejaVuSansMono.pf2 \
      --size=24 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf
    3. Add a GRUB_FONT variable to /etc/default/grub with the path to your freshly-converted font:
      Code:
      GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub/DejaVuSansMono.pf2
    4. Code:
      sudo update-grub

That's it! Finally we can use native resolutions without needing a magnifying glass to read the text!

FYI: I believe the "--size=" indicates point size but I'm not entirely sure (the documentation doesn't say). If it is based on the point scale I don't believe it is taking dpi into account since I tried "--size=72" on a 120dpi display and letters were only about half an inch tall (72 points is precisely one inch).

Also, I'm wondering why /etc/default/grub doesn't already have a commented-out GRUB_FONT line indicating the usage. The scripts are already coded to support it and it appears to work fine.
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "Having someone to blame is not an effective IT strategy."

Beans

riskable

Real nice job.

Thanks a bunch.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

riskable,

Good work. I'm debugging a Grub menu and when finished will run your solution on Grub 1.97~beta (Karmic) and 1.98 (Lucid). I'll then post it as a new section in the original post - giving you all the credit of course.

Eventually we will get more documentation from the people actually creating this stuff, but for now we'll just have to rely on efforts such as yours to figure it out. Thanks again.

Added: I've been playing around with various font settings but am having mixed results on my 1.97~beta machine. If I attempt to change the size to another setting I am getting frequent lockups or automatic boots without the opportunity to choose an alternate OS, even with a delay programmed. I'll keep experimenting and see if I can determine a pattern.

Reports from other users on their experiences while trying this out are appreciated.
    Last edited by drs305; February 3rd, 2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've been playing with various fonts/sizes and they appear to work with Grub 1.98. Some have pretty ugly border gaps but the sizing and font type do work. I would still be wary of using the font technique on production machines using 1.97~beta, which on the few tests I've run so far have often locked up the system at boot.
    Last edited by drs305; February 3rd, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I've been playing with various fonts/sizes and they appear to work with Grub 1.98. Some have pretty ugly border gaps but the sizing and font type do work. I would still be wary of using the font technique on production machines using 1.97~beta, which on the few tests I've run so far have often locked up the system at boot.
    I have some ugly bits too: The top pixel or two of the highlighted entry gets cut off and the borders end up looking like dashed lines (they're supposed to be solid). Nothing major but I'm going to investigate to see if I can find a font that grub2 likes better than DejaVu Sans Mono.

Also, if I change the font size to something huge grub2 locks up. Everything under 30 seems to work fine though (I was going to test "--size=36" next).
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "Having someone to blame is not an effective IT strategy."

Beans

I just installed linux on my primary drive, but I have another hard drive in my computer which originally had Windows 7 installed.

Should I restore the windows bootloader? because when Grub loads I cannot see my windows OS in the options.

I see 2 entries for linux (including one for safe mode) and 2 for memtest.

Somebody help, how do I restore windows 7 to grub so I can have the option to boot to windows...

Cheers!

Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast