Page 63 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

I am still trying to get an ISO to boot. I am only interested in the live CDs so that is all I am trying.

The only thing I can get is "no such file" or whatever that error is.

The ISO is on the desktop. I have tried this with Ubuntu10.04 64bit, Lubuntu 10.10 64bit and now with 10.10 UNE 32bit.

This was the 10.04 entry that is edited for the UNE. Exactly the same response every time no matter what the OS.
    Code:
    menuentry "Unity ISO on /dev/sda10" {
    loopback loop (hd0,10)/home/sam/Desktop/maverick-netbook-i386.iso
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/home/sam/Desktop/maverick-netbook-i386.iso noprompt 
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    If anyone can straighten me out on this I will be very happy.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Well, found the problem. It was sitting in the chair in front of the computer.

A>having the ISO on the desktop and trying to boot from it when you have a / and a /home partition is not going to work.
    B>The owner of the ISO needs to be "root". Grub is looking for a root owned file, in a root owned container.

Basically I created an /etc/aa directory for the ISO. Menu entry;
    Code:
    menuentry "Lounge Lizard ISO on /dev/sda10" {
    loopback loop (hd0,10)/etc/aa/lucid-desktop-amd64.iso
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/etc/aa/lucid-desktop-amd64.iso noprompt 
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Works really great.

Yes, I do know that most folks refer to 10.04 as Lucid Lynx.

This is where you need to be looking for ISO booting info;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1549847
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Based on our conversations I've added a section in the ISO post about the special requirements on partition designations when using a separate /home partition.

If you have an ISO within a separate /home folder, the location of the file according to Grub 2 will be the user's home partition/folder/ISO-name, with no reference to /home.

Example:
    The ISO is located in /home/username/iso/iso_filename. The / partition is sda5; the user drs305's home folder is on sda10.

The Grub 2 entry will be: (hd0,10)/drs305/iso/iso_filename

As mentioned, this thread has more information on booting ISOs from the Grub 2 menu:
    ISO Booting with Grub 2
    Last edited by drs305; August 24th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have two Windows entries and a Windows Vista entry that I never installed. How do I remove the second 7 entry (Which does the same as the first) and the Vista entry? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by corrytonapple View Post
    I have two Windows entries and a Windows Vista entry that I never installed. How do I remove the second 7 entry (Which does the same as the first) and the Vista entry? Thanks
    Altering the Grub2 scripts will allow you to hide a Windows recovery partition or any other partition. Take a look at sections 4, 5 & 9 of the following thread. It's a bit geeky, so if you need help, please post in that thread.
    Grub 2 Title Tweaks
    Last edited by drs305; August 29th, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you. My GRUB 2 is now almost perfected!
    --Corrytonapple----

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by corrytonapple View Post
    Thank you. My GRUB 2 is now almost perfected!
    If you haven't created a custom GRUB2 screen with a nice picture that is maintenance free check out the tutorial in my signature.
    It is also mentioned at the bottom of item 18 Links at the top of this thread. It is good if you are dual booting and you never have to edit
    GRUB2 to fix your default line when a new kernel is installed. drs305 is the one to ask about the hard GRUB2 stuff though.

Beans
    Distro

I remember saying I could not wait for your How-To. Then I cleaned out my subscribed threads and I now have yours to go by too. I will post a picture. I Have fonts and the picture there, now it has to be maintance free. When I say almost, I mean I have to get rid of my second 7 and Vista recovery. Then I want to change the names of the Loaders. Will use your guide.
    --Corrytonapple----

Beans

I have Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP set up to dual boot. I have tried repairing the Windows boot system with a Windows installation disk, but Windows is still failing to boot. I know I'm not supposed to be posting the same problem in multiple places, but someone from Grub/XP/Vista Bootloader suggested this thread might be more what I need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jctolton View Post
    I have Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP set up to dual boot. I have tried repairing the Windows boot system with a Windows installation disk, but Windows is still failing to boot. I know I'm not supposed to be posting the same problem in multiple places, but someone from Grub/XP/Vista Bootloader suggested this thread might be more what I need.
    The best thing you could do is start a new thread, with just your problem. Post here again and leave a link.

When you post please include the result text (complete) from this script;

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

This is a safe script to run, you can find it many places in these forums by running a forum search at the top of the page.

It is handy as a pocket in a shirt when it comes to diagnosing boot problems.

Another thing that would be good is to explain what you did in repairing the MS boot system. Of particular interest would be if you tried reinstalling the MS bootloader on the MBR (grub can be put back quite easily).

Page 63 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast