Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

I forgot to edit that line. It does nothing. It is what you see on the terminal output of update-grub. It goes no where else.

That said, I certainly should have changed it to avoid you having a heart attach.

That is a symbolic menu entry that will boot the newest kernel on the defined (between the { and }) partition (as long as it is a Debian based OS).

As for the ;"dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" it should work too if you follow the instructions for where to install the bugger as given in drs305s post. You would do that while booted to 10.04.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I forgot to edit that line. It does nothing. It is what you see on the terminal output of update-grub. It goes no where else.

That said, I certainly should have changed it to avoid you having a heart attach.

That is a symbolic menu entry that will boot the newest kernel on the defined (between the { and }) partition (as long as it is a Debian based OS).

As for the ;"dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" it should work too if you follow the instructions for where to install the bugger as given in drs305s post. You would do that while booted to 10.04.
    Your post is 500. You've deserved it ...

Beans

no problem ranch hand, thanks. as said, I'm currently trying to get up to speed on the grub-pc reconfigure thing that was never on my radar to scrutinize, it did its thing well off the box, so if ain't broken don't fix it as the say goes.

the more I think about the overall situation - two releases installed that have major differences as far as key packages (grub2 booting related) in their good function are concerned - I can not help but ask myself a v valid and obvious question - what's the need of karmic being there, why do I need it now ? grub2 will be forever the 197 beta in karmic (it won't be upgraded the way I understand it) so just have it there to, maybe, cause further head aches in the future ? wouldn't it be better to cut it off/forget about it right now and reinstall just lucid ?

I just need a small spark to make me hose down karmic and, in my case unfortunately, lucid will have to go too and reinstall just lucid.

I'll keep you posted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by peter b View Post
    why do I need it now ? grub2 will be forever the 197 beta in karmic (it won't be upgraded the way I understand it) so just have it there to, maybe, cause further head aches in the future ? wouldn't it be better to cut it off/forget about it right now and reinstall just lucid ?

I just need a small spark to make me hose down karmic and, in my case unfortunately, lucid will have to go too and reinstall just lucid.

I'll keep you posted.
    Looks like you've analyzed things pretty well. You might want to copy some of the config files just in case you haven't customized lucid yet.

Here's a spark for you.

Think of it as rubbing sticks or striking flints and not playing a violin.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter b View Post
    no problem ranch hand, thanks. as said, I'm currently trying to get up to speed on the grub-pc reconfigure thing that was never on my radar to scrutinize, it did its thing well off the box, so if ain't broken don't fix it as the say goes.

the more I think about the overall situation - two releases installed that have major differences as far as key packages (grub2 booting related) in their good function are concerned - I can not help but ask myself a v valid and obvious question - what's the need of karmic being there, why do I need it now ? grub2 will be forever the 197 beta in karmic (it won't be upgraded the way I understand it) so just have it there to, maybe, cause further head aches in the future ? wouldn't it be better to cut it off/forget about it right now and reinstall just lucid ?

I'll keep you posted.
    I have had no trouble with the different versions of grub2 playing nicely with each other.

Ditching 9.10 is up to you but I will tell you that it runs fine with the newer version. I have it on on my wifes Sys76 box that came preinstalled with 9.10 and I just like the newer one better so I slapped it on there.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

yes, I agree, I had no problems whatsoever with any of them, both played nicely on their own that's to say karmic delivered well all the time it was the only kid, then took the back seat elegantly when the new kid, lucid, came on the block.

however, at what degree they 'understood' and played nicely with each other it's v hard to say. basically, in my case, karmic kind of took a back seat for extended periods; I thing that I booted into it maybe 3 times since lucid install and never updated anything until .... couple of days ago, when that furry one with little horns whispered in my ear and pushed me to update to the last ..-22 kernel. at the first boot after the update, karmic/grub2 197 decided that the time came to kick lucid aside; and, to top it all off, stubbornly refused to be consistent - there is one thing written on its grub.cfg and a totally diff thing presented on the boot menu; ...-22 new kernel and lucid appear in grub.cfg and were shown during update but they are absent in grub boot menu. well, that's life, learning all the time I guess.

@drs305

I welcome your spark - decision made, one of these days time permitting, karmic will be put to good rest and be off limits on this pc; lucid will become the only kid to be taken care of.

btw, the grub-pc dpkg-reconfigure did not help - still using grub2 floppy to boot. just a side note, believe it or not, floppy boot is extremely fast, the grub2 menu is displayed almost instantly, in the blink of an eye.

thank you and best regards.

Beans

I have a dumb question. I avoid using a separate /boot like the plague so I know little about it but reading your "grub 2 reinstall" procedure shouldn't you include a line about unmounting "/mnt/boot"?

Maybe something like this (in red):

Reinstalling GRUB 2 from LiveCD
    If you cannot boot from GRUB 2 and need to reinstall it, here is the simple method. For more details or for advanced options, refer to the Ubuntu community documentation here: Grub2 - Reinstalling GRUB 2:

* Boot the Karmic or Lucid LiveCD (Try without installing).
    * From the Desktop, open a terminal - Applications, Accessories, Terminal.
    * Determine your normal system partition - `sudo fdisk -l` (That is a lowercase L)
    * If you aren't sure, run `df -Th`. Look for the correct disk size and ext3 or ext4 format.
    * Mount your normal system partition:
    Code:

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt

o Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    o Note: The partition to mount is normally the partition on which Ubuntu was installed: sda1, sdb5, etc. If you have a separate /boot partition, use the device on which the /boot partition is located. Grub 2 works best when installed in the MBR of the drive to which BIOS boots. Also remember that you mount the partition (including the number) in this step, but you do not include the partition number when you run the "sudo grub-install" command later.
    o Note: GRUB 2 counts the first drive (X) as "0", but the first partition (Y) as "1"
    * Only if you have a separate boot partition:
    o
    Code:

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/boot

with sdXY being your /boot partition designation.
    * Reinstall GRUB 2:
    Code:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX

o Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    o Note: Substitute the device on which Ubuntu was installed - sda, sdb, etc. Do not specify a partition number.

Now you need to unmount the root system but, if you have a separate boot partition which you mounted earlier, you should unmount this first, eg: "sudo umount /mnt/boot".

* Unmount the partition:
    Code:

sudo umount /mnt

* Reboot.
    I've just been studying about the potential problems of multi-booting with a separate /boot partition with a mixture of legacy grub and grub 2

Tis making me crazy

Beans

I have been looking at the /boot business too, just to figure out why. The idea just doesn't make much sense to me.

It is not, however, making me crazy. Few things can do that. This is one advantage off being nuts in the first place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    ... reading your "grub 2 reinstall" procedure shouldn't you include a line about unmounting "/mnt/boot"?
    Done. Thanks for the input.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I have been looking at the /boot business too, just to figure out why. The idea just doesn't make much sense to me.

It is not, however, making me crazy. Few things can do that. This is one advantage off being nuts in the first place.
    Herman pretty much voices my concerns here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman5...boot_partition

I would not recommend making a separate /boot partition for any reason than for overcoming GRUB error 18.
    Don't do that.

The main disadvantage of having to use a separate /boot partition is that is you want to dual boot more than one Linux installation, it is a bit tricky to get two or more linuxes to share the same separate /boot partition.
    If you try, any files with the same name in the new system you might be installing will overwrite files belonging to your existing system and you will lose the boot of your existing Linux.
    It never made much sense to me. I have run into both the 33.8 GB and 137 GB BIOS hard disk limits causing problems but I prefer just using separate / and /home partitions. An 8 GB to 10 GB root "/" is plenty in most cases and puts the kernel within the readable area of the hard drive.

I'm just trying to improve my knowledge base

Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast