Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Quote Originally Posted by exoren22 View Post
    Ok, I have two questions. First, why is it not advised to install GRUB to the linux partition instead of the MBR? ...

Which brings me to my next question. Can I set up GRUB to do this for me? As in, does GRUB2 have a way to detect if my (Windows or linux) installs were hibernated and boot into the hibernated one? Thanks in advance.
    Installing to a specific partition requires the use of blocklists, which makes booting slightly more unreliable since booting fails if core.img is moved.

I believe that with recent Grub 2 updates when the user now tries to install on a specific partition the user is presented with a brief explanation.

I don't know the answer to the second question.
    Last edited by drs305; March 11th, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What issues could this cause me?
    None.

Grub2 installed in a boot sector is bit more unreliable since it has to located core.img by the physical address. So one has to reinstall Grub anytime core.img gets moved. Also Grub 2 in the boot sector does not come with the "rescure" mod.

But EasyBCD 2 does not use the boot sector. It uses Grub4Dos, which is able to locate core.img by name. So you should not run into any problems.

does GRUB2 have a way to detect if my (Windows or linux) installs were hibernated and boot into the hibernated one?
    Grub2 does not need to detect whether Windows or linux is hibernating

For windows: Grub2 calls the Windows boot loader, which then is in charge of booting the hibernated system

For linux: Grub2 calls the kernel, which then will wake up the hibernated system.

So Grub2 works just fine with hibernation.

Beans

I have 2 recurring problems. 1 is with gfxpayload which, hopefully, will be fixed in 1.98. No matter what I try, I cannot get my intel graphics normalized to 1024x768 so I can use the framebuffer except if i use "nomodeset vga-792" in the command line. I will await this fix and see.

the other problem is that sometimes after a shutdown (abrupt power disconnect), Grub2 will just sit and wait at the menu screen until I hit enter. Most reboots fly right into the OS, but every so often it will glitch like this. This is on a kiosk type project and I cannot control how or when the power will be removed. The OS is running off a flash card.

keithspg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by keithspg View Post
    I have 2 recurring problems. 1 is with gfxpayload which, hopefully, will be fixed in 1.98. No matter what I try, I cannot get my intel graphics normalized to 1024x768 so I can use the framebuffer except if i use "nomodeset vga-792" in the command line. I will await this fix and see.

the other problem is that sometimes after a shutdown (abrupt power disconnect), Grub2 will just sit and wait at the menu screen until I hit enter. Most reboots fly right into the OS, but every so often it will glitch like this. This is on a kiosk type project and I cannot control how or when the power will be removed. The OS is running off a flash card.

keithspg
    1, I am using 1.98 in Lucid and still can't get gfxpayload to set the system resolution. I've tried setting a specific resolution and I've tried gfxpayload=keep but have been unsuccessful. I haven't pursued this to any great extent since I have a couple of other minor graphics issues that may or may not influence this topic.

2. Most likely the system is awaiting user input because of the "recordfail" check. If Grub 2 detects a problem it forces the user to make an input rather than proceed on its on. I don't know all the specifics of what conditions create a recordfail event, but the 00_header section that forces the check (and subsequent pause in the boot) is this section of /etc/grub.d/00_header:
    cat << EOF
    if [ \${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
    set timeout=-1
    else

set timeout=${GRUB_TIMEOUT}
    fi
    EOF
    There were some bugs early on in Grub 2 and the solution was to disable the lines in bold by placing a # symbol at the start of the line. Disabling this would remove the feature - whether or not you want to do so is up to you.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by meierfra. View Post
    None.

But EasyBCD 2 does not use the boot sector. It uses Grub4Dos, which is able to locate core.img by name. So you should not run into any problems.
    But does it still use Grub4Dos if you don't use NeoGRUB? I installed GRUB2 to /dev/sda6 in this case, which is the Xubuntu partition. Then in EasyBCD I selected the GRUB 2 option and added it in.

Quote Originally Posted by meierfra. View Post
    Grub2 does not need to detect whether Windows or linux is hibernating

For windows: Grub2 calls the Windows boot loader, which then is in charge of booting the hibernated system

For linux: Grub2 calls the kernel, which then will wake up the hibernated system.
    Ok, what I mean is, I want it to boot to the hibernated partition automatically, which is usually in this case Windows. I don't want to select the OS to wake it up. Though I think setting the default setting to the last booted OS should work.
    movin' to a new home: from 127.0.0.1 to ::1

Beans

Wow, 37 pages, 365 post - makes me scared to try dual boot for friends vista laptop. too much for me to read - too complicated. This guy's vista is already bad, I've spent the whole last week trying to fix Blu screens after cleaning viruses off and trying to put SP1 on. Can't get it to take SP1. It kills vista every time and takes a day of running chkdsk to fix after following all of MS instructions to prep for SP1.

Can anyone point me to a thread that sums this up as in step by step instructions to get 9.1 and vista to work easily?

I'm 110% Ubuntu and trying to spread the goodness, but don't want to spread any problems and don't want Ubuntu to be blamed for messing up his computer.
    Suggestions welcome - THANKS, BT

Beans

I recommend the link in my sig. Just the first post. This will give you a basic working knowledge of grub.

The interaction between grub and MS products is actually pretty smooth if you have a clean install that came with grub (as opposed to grub-legacy). If you are installing 9.04 and upgrading to 9.10, purge the "grub" and "grub-common" packages and install "grub-pc" and "grub-common" before the upgrade.

If you want a newer, and I think, better grub for 9.10, get hold of grub1.98 and the grub-common that goes with it. It is really only with updated systems (with residual grub-legacy) and dual booting with non debian based OS' that problems still occur and they are getting rarer all the time.

Grub is different and you do need to learn to work with it but there are a couple things to remember.
    1>grub0.97 just could not keep up with some of the file systems and storage devices coming out, it seems, every other month.
    2>grub0.97 is no longer supported.

If you are running 9.04, for instance you are actually running grub-common1.96 which will support both versions of grub but has installed files on your system that will be used by grub1.96.

There was a lag in the documentation at the start. Most good documentation was from hermans (forum member) blog. drs305, the poster of this thread, has done wonders to get that straightened out along with several others.

This is the best in depth coverage you will find anywhere.

Avoid non community documentation as i am convinced that many have never even seen the new grub and have you really screwing up. This is a major source of posts to this and other grub threads on the forums where they should have looked first.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am curious about something if meierfra happens to see this. My results from the Boot Info Script show:

Code:
    => Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in 
        partition #3 for /boot/grub.
     => Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks on the same drive in 
        partition #3 for /boot/grub.
    Which I know is incorrect.
    I will file a new release soon, which will remove the wrong information. But unfortunately, the boot info script will no be able to replace the wrong information by the correct one.

If the grub folder is not on the boot drive, Grub 2 uses UUID's to located the partition with the grub folder. In Grub1.96 and Grub1.97, the UUID was directly embedded into sector 5 of the hard drive. In Grub 1.98, the UUID's appears in the later sectors of the hard drive. Those sectors have been compressed before being embedded.

This means that I have no idea how to retrieve the UUID's from the MBR and the boot info script will no longer be able to display on which partition Grub2 is looking for the grub folder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peter b View Post
    re #275

@drs305 as promised and anyone interested; rescue floppy created and working ok1.

procedure attached ==> grub2-floppy-setup.txt

floppy contents attached ==> grub2-floppy-contents.txt

nautilus contents ==> grub2-nautilus-content_part.png

floppy properties ==> grub2-floppy0-properties.png

pls note the size on floppy approx 740 Kb - I'd say v elegant, inexpensive and slick (I guess small is beautiful always).

and, to cap it all off, I get the desired sh:grub> prompt if 'c' is entered at grub menu.

grub 1.97 beta4 used from current karmic release.
    Can this be placed on a CD?

Beans

@ TutAmongUs

for a grub2 rescue CD pls take a look at

http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/...l#GRUB2_CD-ROM

mind you, I never done it; I prefer to use the floppy route for obvious reasons.

Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast