Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

I've just returned from 2+ weeks of vacation, without any electronics. I'm still trying to catch up.

I'd agree with Cavsfan's approach and try to simplify things. You can do this in several ways. Since the update time is pretty long, I'd most likely create a custom menu as suggested by Cavsfan and then turn off 30_os-prober.

To just reduce the kernels you currently have:

In general, you don't need more than 2 kernels in any release, and with your experience, you could remove the older one after a week or so once you know the current kernel works. You can add a kernel back via chroot if necessary and if a release does break, it's not like you are going to be without an OS!

Before you leave any OS run it's "update-grub" so it's grub.cfg file is updated (and hopefully reduced).

At the top of your list, your current OS has both 3.2 and 3.0 kernels. I doubt you need either of the 3.0 ones in that release any longer.

You can also disable the recovery mode on all your releases. To get into the recovery mode from any Grub menu, press E, remove "quiet splash" and whatever follows and replace it with "single" on the 'linux' line. Then F10 or CTRL-X to boot into the recovery mode.

For the following:
    I haven't thought it through completely, but I think it's from your sda11 installation that you are getting all the 11,10 entries. If you aren't successful I'll come back and more thoroughly inspect your output when I have a bit more time.

Within grub.cfg it is picking up:
    Found Linux Mint 12 Lisa (12) on /dev/sda10
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda11
    Found Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (12.04) on /dev/sda12
    Found Ubuntu precise (development branch) (12.04) on /dev/sda13
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda16
    Found Ubuntu 11.04 (11.04) on /dev/sda5
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda6
    Found Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (10.04) on /dev/sda7
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda8
    Found Linux Mint 11 LXDE (11) on /dev/sda9
    These are all erroneous entries - probably text being imported. It could come from a bad custom menu that contains that text. Look in your sda11 installation and see if you can find them and remove them. As a quick/dirty fix, open the sda11 grub.cfg file. If these entries are within, manually remove all those entries and don't run sda11's update-grub until you find the culprit.
    Last edited by drs305; May 7th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.