Thread: AVG8.5 antivirus issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

AVG8.5 antivirus issue

Hi people,,

since i came from windows background...just to be on the safer side i wanted to install avg anitivrus

i downloaded the latest avg85flx-r287-a2632.i386.deb file and ran the package and it said installation complete

but i don see that icon anywhere under applications... i am confused

ANy help is much appreciated

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

Re: AVG8.5 antivirus issue

Probably has to be ran from the terminal. Look to see if there was a readme file that gives instructions on how to run.

But, IMO, running this on Ubuntu, is likely a waste of recources.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: AVG8.5 antivirus issue

hi guys

i followed this link:

tried option 1

i Opened a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal), and entered

sudo rm /usr/share/applications/avggui.desktop

AND IT GIVES AND ERROR MESSAGE:
    rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/applications/avggui.desktop': No such file or director

tried second option

went to
    Click on "System-->Preferences-->Main Menu" To launch the menu editor.
    but cant find AVG anywhere there

come on guys i am new to this...

can any one guide me here...

Beans

Hi ,

I am trying out Ubuntu to see what all the buzz is about. I have used various flvours of Unix over the years but, not in the past 10 years or so and not on a PC. So I thought I'd give Ubuntu a try.

Overall I find i easy to use but, admit to getting lost when it comes to installing software. It just seems so difficult to do such a simple and frequent thing as add software to my PC!.

I have little problem if there is a package in a repository that Ubuntu knows about but, if it isn't there I seem to go round in circles working out how to install a .deb file that I have downloaded. I know I can install it by right-click and Open with GDEB etc but, is this best practice? Should I somehow add it to a repository first. I have noticed an option to add downloaded packages but, whenever I try to use it the option I want is greyed-out?

Anyway - I know a lot of Linux 'geeks'say that you don't NEED anti-virus - my response is Why does AV exist for Linux then ? I expect that as Linux gets more popular then Virus's WILL appear But, I digress. I decided for whatever reason to install AVG8.5. I downloaded the .deb file and installed it - so far so good - no errors. BUT, there is no entry in the menu's and no icon on the desktop - so how do I run it?

I did a search and found instructions on how to install AVG7.1 and some horrendous commands to type in Terminal JUST to get an Icon on the desktop. I mean that CAN'T be usual can it ? I've worked in IT for years and am having trouble with it. Joe Average isn't going to move to Linux if it is this difficult to install a simple program !

Anyway anyone out there managed to get AVG 8.5 to run in a GUI? It must surely have GUI front end if AVG7.1 had one.

It doesn't matter that I'm trying to instal AntiVirus on Linux - this is relevent to any package that I might try to install. AVG only provide instructions on installing the package but, they give a dpkg command to type in Terminal. I tried that and got an message saying that it needed superuser privilege! I am the only user on the PC so surely I HAVE that privilege already ?

Any help greatly appreciated. I really WANT to like Linux but, this hassle is putting me off BIG time. As is the fact that there are SO many different Linux'x to choose from ! I thought Unix was Universal eXecutive - It's not very Universal with all these distros around !

Beans

I tried AVG before and had this same problem. I though I'd give it another try because I fix other people MS HHDs and find it handy to run AV on them from Ubuntu. Again no luck. I had another AV running, BitDefender, and had no problems. Check this threat out about the lack of GUI for 8.5
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1150039
    Last edited by Norwal; January 16th, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Here we go again!

IntelCore i7-4770, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance,GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1Gb, Triple Boot Mint12, Ubuntu 12.04 & Win 7 Ulti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you open synaptics does it tell you the package is installed?

You can see the package properties and check which files are present, maybe there will be a binary that you can run, and maybe it also recommends/suggests other packages

Beans

Its a command line application folks.