Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Create a Live USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post How to: Create a Live USB

This guide is outdated. For up-to-date information on creating a Live USB, go to Install Ubuntu from a USB stick - Community Documentation

If you need to install Ubuntu on a computer without a CD drive (e.g. a netbook) or you want your OS on a USB drive so you can take it anywhere, then you want to create a Live USB:

PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Method 1: Linux
    UNetbootin

1. Insert your USB flash drive (1GB should be enough, although less may work too, I just haven't tested it with less)

2. Go to Applications>Add/Remove

3. Search for UNetbootin. If it is there Install it, if not, try Method 3.

4. Open UNetbootin (Applications>System Tools>UNetbootin)

5. In the UNetbootin window, there will be a drop-down menu "==Select Distribution=="
    Select Ubuntu

6. There will also be one called "==Select Version=="
    Select 9.04_Live for the latest version of Ubuntu: 9.04 Intrepid Ibex, or 8.04_Live for 8.04 Hardy Heron LTS (Long Term Support)

7. In the bottom left corner of the window, there will be another drop down menu. It will either say "Hard Disk" or "USB Drive". You want it to say USB Drive

8. Click OK

12. Wait for everything to finish. While you are waiting, DO NOT CLOSE UNETBOOTIN WINDOW, OR UNPLUG YOUR USB DRIVE

14. On the same or different computer, plug in your USB Drive, and restart. Right at the beginning of the boot, press F12 (may be different) repeatedly, select USB Drive with the arrown keys and spacebar, and Ubuntu will boot from USB drive.

Method 2: Windows
    UNetbootin

1. Insert your USB flash drive (1GB should be enough, although less may work too, I just haven't tested it with less)

2. Go to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

3. Click on Download (for Windows)

4. Install the .exe

5. Open Unetbootin.

6. In the UNetbootin window, there will be a drop-down menu "==Select Distribution=="
    Select Ubuntu

7. There will also be one called "==Select Version=="
    Select 9.04_Live for the latest version of Ubuntu: 9.04 Intrepid Ibex, or 8.04_Live for 8.04 Hardy Heron LTS (Long Term Support)

8. In the bottom left corner of the window, there will be another drop down menu. It will either say "Hard Disk" or "USB Drive". You want it to say USB Drive

9. Click OK

10. Wait for everything to finish. While you are waiting, DO NOT CLOSE THE UNETBOOTIN WINDOW OR UNPLUG YOUR USB DRIVE

11. On the same ordifferent computer, plug in your USB Drive, and restart. Right at the beginning of the boot, press F12 (may be different) repeatedly, select USB Drive with the arrown keys and spacebar, and Ubuntu will boot from USB drive.

Method 3: Linux UNR image (.img)

Note:
    This only works with Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) 9.04, not the Desktop Edition, and not 8.04 LTS. No worries though, you can get a regular desktop in UNR.

2. Download the Ubuntu Netbook Remix image here. Save to Desktop

3. Download USB Imagewriter here.

4. Open with GDebi Package installer.

5. Click Install.

6. When it is installed, press Alt-F2, type in "imagewriter", and press enter.

7. In ImageWriter, select the UNR image that's on the Desktop for "Write Image:" and select your plugged-in USB drive in "to:".

8. Click Write to Device.

9. Wait for everything to finish. While you are waiting, DO NOT CLOSE THE IMAGEWRITER WINDOW, OR UNPLUG YOUR USB DRIVE

10. On the same or different computer, plug in your USB Drive, and restart. Right at the beginning of the boot, press F12 (may be different) repeatedly, select USB Drive with the arrow keys and spacebar, and Ubuntu will boot from USB drive.

That's all the methods I know of. If you have any more, please post!

Thanks,
    -vegetarianshrimp
    Last edited by vegetarianshrimp; June 30th, 2010 at 03:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to: Create a Live USB

Method 4

From Ubuntu 9.04- Go System > Administration > USB Startup Disk Creator. Really simple just follow the prompts.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    Method 4

From Ubuntu 9.04- Go System > Administration > USB Startup Disk Creator. Really simple just follow the prompts.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that! thanks
    HP Pavilion p6347c: AMD Athlon II X4 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HD, 64-bit Arch
    Dell Mini 910: Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB SSD, 32-bit Maverick

Beans

Install Ubuntu from a USB stick - Community Documentation contains valuable troubleshooting information.
    LiveUsbPendrivePersistentincludes instructions to make a USB Live CD install persistent (so one can save settings and files).
    My preference is to install Ubuntu to the flash drive. It's faster than the Live CD, though it takes more disk space(2Gb+ compared to ~700). I used these install instuctions and configuration instructions (the configuration includes steps to improve performance and hopefully prevent flash memory wear and tear).
    Last edited by Mighty_Joe; August 17th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Joe View Post
    Install Ubuntu from a USB stick - Community Documentation contains valuable troubleshooting information.
    LiveUsbPendrivePersistentincludes instructions to make a USB Live CD install persistent (so one can save settings and files).
    My preference is to install Ubuntu to the flash drive. It's faster than the Live CD, though it takes more disk space(2Gb+ compared to ~700). I used these install instuctions and configuration instructions (the configuration includes steps to improve performance and hopefully prevent flash memory wear and tear).
    Thanks!
    HP Pavilion p6347c: AMD Athlon II X4 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HD, 64-bit Arch

Beans

I am an average computer user trying to use Linux for the first time (using Windows now).

No problem downloading Ubuntu to a USB stick (using Method 2: Windows Unetbootin above). But when I try to reboot from the stick I get this error:
    SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS ...
    Unknown keyword in configuration file: MD5SUM
    Could not find kernel image: linux

I followed all specified steps in Method 2 except for ‘4. Install the .exe’ since don’t know how to do this (unetbootin-windows-356.exe is on desktop and I ran it and it downloaded and installed Ubuntu on the USB stick).

I also tried ‘Method 3: Linux UNR image (.img)’ but could’t do ‘4. Open with GDebi Package installer’ since it says : “Sorry but your system is not (yet) supported...’ when I try to download GDebi Package.

Any help appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Alxl View Post
    I am an average computer user trying to use Linux for the first time (using Windows now).

No problem downloading Ubuntu to a USB stick (using Method 2: Windows Unetbootin above). But when I try to reboot from the stick I get this error:
    SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS ...
    Unknown keyword in configuration file: MD5SUM
    Could not find kernel image: linux

I followed all specified steps in Method 2 except for ‘4. Install the .exe’ since don’t know how to do this (unetbootin-windows-356.exe is on desktop and I ran it and it downloaded and installed Ubuntu on the USB stick).

I also tried ‘Method 3: Linux UNR image (.img)’ but could’t do ‘4. Open with GDebi Package installer’ since it says : “Sorry but your system is not (yet) supported...’ when I try to download GDebi Package.

Any help appreciated
    Hmm...I don't know what the problem is with the LiveUSB, but but if your computer has a CD dirve, you can try using a LiveCD instead of a LiveUSB to try out and install Ubuntu.
    You can request a free Ubuntu CD from Canonical here, or you can buy one here.
    You can also download the .iso and burn it to your own CD here.

Alternatavely, if your computer does not have a CD drive or if you find this easier, you can try Wubi. It installs Ubuntu as a program in Windows. You can boot Ubuntu or Windows at startsup, and if you don't like Ubuntu, you can remove it in Windows just by removing Wubi.

Beans

Thanks.
    I did some reading and it appears that there is a problem with the syslinux.cfg file. Some additional info about this problem :

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/error-c...l-image-linux/

I have the syslinux.cfg file in the USB but cannot open it to see its content. It is only 432 bytes! .

If I cannot put it on a USB, I’ll try your suggestions. Computer has a CD drive bu my small laptop does not. And then I'll have to see if I can transfer the info from the CD to the stick

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Alxl View Post
    Thanks.
    I did some reading and it appears that there is a problem with the syslinux.cfg file. Some additional info about this problem :

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/error-c...l-image-linux/

I have the syslinux.cfg file in the USB but cannot open it to see its content. It is only 432 bytes! .

If I cannot put it on a USB, I’ll try your suggestions. Computer has a CD drive bu my small laptop does not. And then I'll have to see if I can transfer the info from the CD to the stick
    Hope it all works out! Post here if you have any questions.

Beans

Hi,
    it's been awhile.
    I looked around and decided to download and install a program called 'Portable Ubuntu Remix' . It is relatively new and apparently not well known.

The program is installed in Windows and one can get to Ubuntu without having to reboot.
    For the time being this is what I need. It comes with Hardy but most likely can also be upgraded -

And it is a free program listed on SourceForge ( http://sourceforge.net/ )

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast