Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Beans

Re: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

ok.. so far none of what the thread has told me to do works.
    I am in Ubuntu 904 wubi install. Which from what i understand should have NO trouble. I have added the PPA thing.. and i get an update on the system in a day or so.. then.. after the install.. the ABOUT area still has version 3. in it. and there are no new features. If you go to the Mizilla site.. it says wow.. you can down load this and install! i down load and its a TAR.Bz2 . If you extract.. then there is no file to install it. Its all (SO) files. I am assuming this means SOURCE.
    I have no experience with Compiling.. but found the HOW to complile from source.. and its last comments are move the file firefox etc TAR.Bz2 to the HOME directory.. which i have done.. then it says use this code to extract.the page i am reading from is here.. and scroll down to the compiling source area till you see the code in the next part.. which is where my install fails
    Code:
     http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567
    Code:
    tar -xjf firefox-z.y.x-source.tar.bz2
    where i get this error.
    Code:
    rj@ubuntu:~$ sudo tar -xjf firefox-z.y.x-source.tar.bz2
    tar: firefox-z.y.x-source.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    rj@ubuntu:~$
    I am getting frustrated. I am far from mastering LINUX Ubuntu.. but i do installs of it for my friends consistantly.. and with little or no complaints. IT doesnt help for me to NOT be able to update the dang Firefox install.. when its the "BEST BROWSER " on the market. You cant get any one to agree with that.. if its such a beast to install the upgrade. If this is the primary install of browser.. why in heck would you make it so hard to upgrade?
    some one want to trouble shoot my system to find out why each of the FIXES for upgrade i have tried.. FAILS?

RJ
    Last edited by forestwalkerjoe; July 5th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.

oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    No, don't delete it. I'm not sure, but I think the lock file is created when you use the profile with Firefox, to prevent another Firefox instance using -no-remote to use the same profile, which could cause conflict of data being saved to it.
    OK fair enough. What concerns me is the "broken link" part (which I also get as an errorif I try to open it). So would this have any impact on my performance?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

EDIT: I writing new reply with a step-by-step to solve your problem.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; July 6th, 2009 at 03:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    OK fair enough. What concerns me is the "broken link" part (which I also get as an errorif I try to open it). So would this have any impact on my performance?
    Don't worry about it. It doesn't affect your performance. Besides, when you close Firefox it goes away.

Beans

I will look into the instructions you have added here.. but. as i said above.. the ABOUT area of my browser still says version 3.1. IF you go to the main site looking for download of the Newest released install.. you get this LINUX download of the Bz2. which does not install directly.. you are not reading my Fail comments. I was being told by another to download the full source file and try install from there.. which I DID also Download. and Yes i DO know there are two different files there. ON is etc SOURCE tar.. and the other is just Tar.bz2.
    I dont want to sound disrespectful.. but there is much i did write abov that you are not answering.. or reading. I know this is because you have some much going on and probably didnt read it all.
    I DID read your whole list of things to do.. and as i said.. it fails for me. NO my install is not now 3.5.. NO i am not trying to get an early release candidate.. and as i have said.. i have already gone to the main Mozilla site and read their requirement to add th€ PPA and IT DOes say.. one can update the old that way. BY installing the new and importing the settings from the old. My questions were that i have no instructions that seem to work for this BZ2 file. or the one that is fully the SOURCE code. NOR did the DB file i found install either. .. or the UPdate the web site says you can get.
    The update is supposed to allow an install of the 3.5 and when i do get an update statment in the update manager.. it says for installing version 3.5 but nothing changes.
    So to keep you from getting lost.. yes.. i have tried all the types i know of of getting this install.. including APT getting and nothing has actaully done the deed.

FWJ
    Last edited by forestwalkerjoe; July 6th, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestwalkerjoe View Post
    I will look into the instructions you have added here.....

FWJ
    I don't want to sound disrespectful either, but your posts are hard to understand.

You are correct..there is a lot of threads I'm trying to help right now and sometimes I read them all over again to check the situation. For instance, take a look on this thread and see how much confusion was made until I decided to help the the OP step-by-step. I'm not saying I know better than others, but the fuzz around Firefox 3.5 makes people install all everything suggested on every post of every thread they can find and then the problems appear. Troubleshooting that is a nightmare, because I don't know what have already been done. Anyway, the problem was easily fixed with patience and following the correct procedures.

So, let's do it the same way. Take a breath. I will guide you through the steps and I'm sure you will have Firefox 3.5 in no time. Just to make you more comfortable, I just removed my Firefox 3.5 and did exactly the steps I'm posting here to make sure I'm not missing anything and it works perfectly.

First, we need to make sure you don't have other versions installed floating around.

Run the following command to remove Shiretoko. I know it's probably not installed, but it won't hurt to do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.5
    Now let's remove any remaining manual Firefox installation:

Code:
    sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox && sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
    Now go to "System >> Software Sources" and remove any PPA repository for Firefox that you have included there.

Then delete any firefox-3.5****.tar.bz2 you have downloaded from Mozilla and saved in your home, not matter if it's source code or not. This is very important!

Now let's install Firefox 3.5.

Download the appropriate version to your system from http://www.getfirefox.com. The site should detect your system specs appropriately and provide the right file. Save it in your home directory. Do not extract it, do not rename it, do not put it inside any sub-folder of home. Just save it in your home directory.

Tehn run this commands, one by one:

Code:
    sudo tar -jxvf firefox-*.tar.bz2 -C /opt
    Code:
    rm firefox-*.tar.bz2
    Code:
    sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    Start Firefox and you will see the version is 3.5, not Shiretoko or anything else.

If you decide to revert to Firefox 3.0.11 for some reason, just run this code:

Code:
    sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox && sudo rm -r /opt/firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi there you say flash isn't good in jaunty

I tried what you suggested, putting the non-free one on, using your code snipit.

I dialog box shows up Title"Network Problem",Body"Connection Problem. You could try to start chat"Ok button.

The ok button won't click

The site in question is: http://www.aceradio.co.uk/chatroom.html

Any ideas? BTW it works fine under windoz (xp)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by johnh10000 View Post
    Hi there you say flash isn't good in jaunty

I tried what you suggested, putting the non-free one on, using your code snipit.

I dialog box shows up Title"Network Problem",Body"Connection Problem. You could try to start chat"Ok button.

The ok button won't click

The site in question is: http://www.aceradio.co.uk/chatroom.html

Any ideas? BTW it works fine under windoz (xp)
    The chat is working for me here, so I can't test the problem of the button. But this already suggest a problem on your connection. Since it works on XP, maybe the problem is some extension that is blocking the connection. Do you have AdBlock installed?

Additionally, you could try to disable ipv6. Type about:config in the address bar, then search for network.dns.disableIPv6 and double click on it if the option is set to false, so it toggles to true.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks gang, got it working!

see :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...80#post7568680

Beans

ok.. now i am in a different boat i guess.
    The FF 3.5 installed.. but before the codes would not work. i did the removal of all the stuff you suggested.. and then it was able to do the install, i guess.
    I do have to say i was worried because you wanted me to remove so much and i was concerned it would not save my links and book marks and such. Its not compatible with a few of my plugs and the FONT is wayyyy to big now.. every thing looks bigger. I tried to change the default font and that didn't do much.. and i pulled back on the zooom.. and it changed the text IN the page but not ON the browser itself.
    the Flash like thing.. took some time to want to work.. but it seems to be working. i have not tried any audio yet. you say there is optimization? these OPS will they smooth out some of what i mentioned here?

I hope so..
    i guess the troubles i had before were conflicting codes. i had all these DUMMY helper things.. from the update manager.. and when you had me code to remove 3.5 it removed about 5 of them.. then suddenly the install was able again.
    thanks for the help with that.. i do hope you have good ideas on the size and speed and such .. so i dont regret having this newer version.

FWJ

Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast