Thread: gnuplot -why are all my lines solid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

gnuplot -why are all my lines solid?

ok, so I've used gnuplot for years, but something in the default features must have recently changed; the thing that I'm trying to do is staggeringly simple: all I want is to plot data with lines that are not solid (dashed, dotted -I don't care, I just want to be able to distinguish more than 3 different lines on a plot after printing it out in black and white )

suppose I have three files with tab-seperated data foo1.txt, foo2.txt, foo3.txt, and I want to be able to tell them apart after plotting and color just won't do. I try:

Code:
     $gnuplot 
    >plot "foo1.txt" w l lt1, "foo2.txt" lt 2 w l, "foo3.txt" lt 3 w l
    you'd think that would change the linetype, but it only changes the color, so I go to see what my linetype options are by typing ">test" and a list of line types is shown on the right with a whole bunch of lines in different colors (only one of them is not solid.) I used to just enter ">plot 'foo1' w l, 'foo2' w l ... etc" and it made different line types by default - so I know it can make dashes and dots, but now something has changed and every tutorial I find online just refers to the 'lt' option.
    the only other clue I've got online is that I need to change my terminal, but I would really think it ought to be possible -by default- to have some lines solid and others not.

Is it really not possible to change the line type (i.e. dashed, solid. dotted, etc) *independent* of the color ? I'm going crazy here: It's such a simple thing for a plotting tool to do!
    I have faith in the smart people that maintain gnuplot, and I refuse to believe that they would omit such an obviously essential piece of functionality. I'm probably being the dumb one here, can someone tell me how?

Beans
    Distro

Re: gnuplot -why are all my lines solid?

just a follow-up, I've also tried playing around with

$set terminal postscript portrait enhanced {solid | dashed } lw 1 "Helvetica" 14

and switching solid <--> dashed, and dashlength etc. nothing seems to be working, I really need to get some plots out, and trying to learn how to use xmgrace at this point looks like a big investment (I thought I already knew gnuplot -and I know how to do lots more complicated stuff with gnuplot -this should be so simple!!!)
    anybody?

Beans
    Distro

Re: gnuplot -why are all my lines solid?

ok, well if anyone is still interested, it turns out the the line types seem to inextricably linked to the color type, and are different for each terminal type. I recommend doing this once:

Code:
    set size 1.0, 0.6
    set term postscript portrait enhanced color lw 1 "Helvetica" 14 

set output "test-ref.ps"
    test
    set terminal x11
    set size 1,1
    and saving the "test-ref" file as a reference for future use when you want to know what your lines are going to look like for a given type.

For the record though, I really think this is a cumbersome way of doing it. Perhaps there could be one command "lt" for dashes, dots, etc, and another one "lc" for line color with a few numbered options (i.e. 1-blue, 2-red, etc) standardized across the terminals. I think that would make it a lot easier, though I don't really know how to do this myself (and I do appreciate the hard work of the people who make gnuplot in the first place, I just think this change would make more people want to use it)