Thread: Dell Precision T3400 Ubuntu 9.04 kvm_intel not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dell Precision T3400 Ubuntu 9.04 kvm_intel not found

Hi,
    I am setting up a Dell Precision T3400 with Intel Quad processor as a server for virtual machines.

I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 server x86 and installed it fine.
    I chose Minimal virtual host installation, and just chose ubuntu core, openssh server, and virtual machine in the install options.

I have enabled Virtualisation in the bios as per other threads.
    However, when i boot up the machine, i get the message:

FATAL: module kvm_intel not found.

Everything else seems fine, and the machine brings me to a login prompt. However, the keyboard is not responding. I've tried it in all the usb ports, front and back, and it won't work. I don't know if this is related to the kvm_intel module or a separate issue.

Can anyone help me with this?

I was also wondering if i can put the x64 version of ubuntu on this machine.

Thanks,
    Highway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dell Precision T3400 Ubuntu 9.04 kvm_intel not found

Hi,
    I just downloaded and tried the 64bit version of 9.04 server, and that is exactly the same issue.

Highway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dell Precision T3400 Ubuntu 9.04 kvm_intel not found

Ok, making progress.

I reinstalled again, but this time chose Mimimal installation mode, instead of minimal install for virtualisation (or whatever they are called).

The install went fine. At the package selection, i didn't choose virtualisation host.

After install was complete, i was able to log in fine. No errors during boot up. I installed the metapackage ubuntu-virt-server which installs a load of stuff needed (apparently) to use ubuntu as a host for virtual machines. This installed fine, as did the kvm_intel module, and I installed an updated kernel.

Rebooted, and everything is fine.

I guess the behaviour described in the previous messages i posted must indicate a bug. I'll log a bug report about it anyway.

Highway.