Thread: Is Avast scanning my emails?

Beans

Is Avast scanning my emails?

Hi All,

The other day I installed Avast Antivir Home Edition for Linux, but I'm not sure if it's working fine.

How do I check if Avast is scanning my incoming e-mails and any attachments (I have Thunderbird)? If it isn't doing so how do I make it happen? I used to work with AVG before with Windows and I didn't have to do anything when it came to updates, scanning emails, etc.

Also, I've been reading here about BitDefender, I never heard of this antivir before. Is it any better than Avast?

Thankyou already.

J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is Avast scanning my emails?

As far as I know, it won't scan your e-mails because none of these anti-virus "for Linux" have real-time protection. They only perform manual scans and they only detect Windows viruses.

If you are worried about contaminating your Linux machine then don't bother using an anti-virus.

I have BItDefender and it works great. I installed it when I was dual-booting with Windows 7 to scan the Windows partition. Now I just use it when I'm bored, to see if something will ever pop up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,

Antivir is actually an Avira program and it is consistently rated top or second in independent "windows" tests. It can be made to provide a realtime guard running under Ubuntu with additional installations. However, unless you are using the windows version of Thunderbird there will be a lot less point in using an av program though you may help protect your outgoing emails and thus other windows users.

Avast is consistently rated amongst the Top five in the independent tests and I sometimes use Thunderbird via Wine with Debian Avast on demand scans.

My regards

Beans

Hi again,

First of all, thanks guys for your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jasper View Post
    ... there will be a lot less point in using an av program though you may help protect your outgoing emails and thus other windows users.
    Everybody says that when in comes to viruses in Linux but, how about troyans, spies, etc?

J.