View Poll Results: Have you tried one of the following platforms?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Intel Atom 230 with 945 chipset

6 25.00%
  • Intel Atom 330 with 945 chipset

10 41.67%
  • Intel Atom 230 with Nvidia Ion chipset

4 16.67%
  • Intel Atom 230 with Nvidia Ion chipset

1 4.17%
  • Other processor with Nvidia Ion chipset (a Via processor, etc.)

4 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an Intel Atom 230 or Atom 330 System?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Do you have an Intel Atom 230 or Atom 330 System?

I have an Atom-based home-built home server and an Atom-based netbook - the server reports as an Atom 230, and I think the netbook uses the same.

The netbook regularly plays h.264 videos at 640x480 which is my TV's resolution. Curiously enough, the netbook is very sluggish for web browsing but the server seems much faster. Ion is overkill for playing Youtube or DVD quality video on a 20 inch screen - Intel graphics can handle this, even with the problems introduced by Ubuntu 9.04. However, if you will be playing HD content, Ion is a necessity due to its support for VDPAU.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

i was looking at them for a low power machine (to replace my ageing via epia MII6000). one thing i found interesting is that the only the power consumption of the CPU gets quoted by intel, but actually the northbridge chip is far more power hungry.

if you look at a photo of a atom 230/330 board (eg http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...F-overview.htm ) you will see 2 main heat sinks, the little one is the CPU, the big one with the fan is the northbridge (you can verify this in the manual).

if you want low power, you need to get a via board, or wait for the next batch of atoms.

the is a table of mini-itx boards and power consumption at http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurb View Post
    Neat, how high a resolution can you push the AVI files before playback becomes impaired? And what resolution does your HDTV display? Also did for your 945, did you get the BOXD945GCLF2 or the BOXD945GCLF2D?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two. Perhaps one of them has S Video out and the other does not? Newegg's data entry on the specs is somewhat spotty and http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-029521.htm and http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-029525.htm do not seem to provide much information either.

Another interesting choice is are the JetWay motherboards at Newegg. They have a line of mobos that use VIA processors instead of the Intel Atoms. They're only slightly cheaper but some of them support up the 4GB of RAM or dual gigabit ethernet, which might make them an interesting choice for NAS box. VIA chipsets may also be more energy efficient than the Intel 945 for some sort of server that you will leave running 24/7. I have a hunch the Intel 945 is probably the more widely supported choice for desktop or HTPC use however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121359 Intel BOXD945GCLFD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121383 Intel BOXD945GCLF
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153144 JetWay JATOM-GM1-330-LF Intel Atom 330
    I have a D945GCLF with 1GB ram, 160GB SATA hard drive and Samsung slim DVD R/w in a InWin BM639 case. I use a D-Link WUA-1340 usb wirelss device to connect to the network. The HDTV is a Samsung LN-T3242H, I use the VGA input so the resolution is 1360X768, Watching recorded HDTV that I get from my brother-in-law the quality is not as good as the ouput I get from my Bell Expressvu HD DVR.

The tv does 720p, but I normally watch it @ 1080i. DVD from component output is just horrible, DVD playback on the pc is much better subjectively. I plan on getting a blu-ray dvd player later on this year as I just can't watch dvd using the current dvd player.

The audio is run through a Techics reciever that I sold used to a friend 10 years ago, he gave it back just before he moved out of town last year. It is due to be replaced later on this year too. The speakers are Paisley Bookshelf, that I've had since the early 80's. If I could ever find a bookshelf speaker that sounds as good I would replace them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ah cool, thanks for the tips. I glad to know the Atom can playback at 1360X768 nicely in case I want to upgrade my TV in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The tv does 720p, but I normally watch it @ 1080i. DVD from component output is just horrible, DVD playback on the pc is much better subjectively. I plan on getting a blu-ray dvd player later on this year as I just can't watch dvd using the current dvd player.
    How did you get the S-video output working? I read somewhere on the forums (I can't seem to find the page) that people were having trouble with the S-video output on that particular board. It's only a $5 premium for the board that has the S-video out though, so it might be worth it just to try it out.

Also, I just read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...t,1997-14.html which points towards a microATX Athlon 64 2000+ as a possible contender with the Atom 330 since it runs cooler, uses slightly less power and outperforms it. However it does require the larger microATX form factor compared to miniITX.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't use S-video , as it is only slightly better than composite video. I was talking about component video which makes dvd's virtually unwatchable on an HD LCD TV. I connect to the tv using the builtin vga connector.

Beans

woohoo! i just got my foxconn r10-s4 today.
    i just got it put together about 5 minutes ago, i stuck in a 250gb sata hd(pulled from my external enclosure) & i only had 512mb ram(i had 4 of these laying around) so i used that, i'll get a 2 gig stick later when it's on sale. i don't have a sata cd, so i'll have to get that later to.
    i'm now installing debian from a usb thumb drive(i only have my 64mb stick, the rest are out on loan), cause i'm just dying to get this thing up an running. i just can't wait to see what it can do & how the dual core atom 330 works.

this is my first ever new computer, all the computers i ever had were past on to me. feels good.
    Last edited by kerry_s; June 24th, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just ordered the Atom 230 foxconn barebones from newegg.. I'm building an intranet webserver for a client, and It just needs to be a REALLY cheap, preferably low power system for a PHP based electronic records management program.

The cheapest system i could find was this, I got the barebones for $95 with free shipping so it was a great deal, the cheapest AMD (equivalent components) system i could put together was $130 + shipping costs.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119011
    Im still amazed, $95 was a steal for mobo, case, processor, power supply, + 2 SATA cables

And im putting it together today, Im worried that it will be underpowered, although all it is really doing is loading 60kb tiff files and performing the occasional image rotate with imagemagick so I think it should be fine, but im still nervous as I wont have time to return it or get a more powerful system before we install it into our clients network. (i'd have to give them my home media center PC i think LOL)

I wish I could find a benchmark that compared it to say an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (my ubuntu developement computer), but the only benchmarks I find compare it against other NEW lower power processors. I really like to see how these things perform against older mainstream processors.
    Last edited by boon4376; July 13th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.

Beans

i think you should have paid a little more & got the duel core:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119012

which is the 1 i got, runs perfectly, love this thing. does multi-tasking without a hickup.

Beans

I have never seen an atom processor in any system and from what I have read about them, I prefer not to either (not yet any way).
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I updated the bios last week and connected the fans to the right connectors, and now the system is quieter than my satellite receiver/dvr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast