Page 89 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    I was unable to get sixad working in natty until I added the following to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
    Code:
    DisablePlugins = input
    Otherwise, it seems that bluetoothd intercepts the connections before sixad can handle them, resulting in errors like "setup in progress."

So on a fresh ubuntu natty install (assuming my sixaxis was already paired using sixpair) I can get a sixaxis working like this:
    Code:
    add-apt-repository ppa:falk-t-j/qtsixa
    apt-get update
    apt-get install -y sixad joystick
    echo "DisablePlugins = input" >> /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
    /etc/init.d/sixad start
    while [ 1 ]; do jstest /dev/input/js0; sleep 1; done
    At this point, I can push the ps button and it works, as verified by the #1 LED on the sixaxis and the output of jstest.

@falkTX
    Thanks very much for sharing your work on the sixaxis. I'm now one very happy user.
    I'll surely try this, thanks!

But won't this ruin the connection for normal devices..?

Beans

Thanks for your help benemorius, but still no joy. My device is paired:

Code:
    Current Bluetooth master: ae:2d:22:00:ff:00
    Setting master bd_addr to ae:2d:22:00:ff:00
    I've also added the line to my main.conf file, when I start sixad I get the following message:

Code:
    Can't read version info hci0: Connection timed out (110)
    sixad-bin[18267]: sixad started, press the PS button now
    Then nothing happens, the controller doesnt connect

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by falkTX View Post
    I'll surely try this, thanks!

But won't this ruin the connection for normal devices..?
    Yes I expect it will break other input devices. The only other bluetooth device I have handy is an rfcomm device, which still works of course. I have a keyboard somewhere around here I could try, but I assume it won't be picked up by bluetoothd now.

Is your sixaxis actually working with natty or no? I see only limited talk of it being broken in natty, but I can't see how anyone could have it working without going through what I went through unless there's a degree of random timing involved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by techmad View Post
    Thanks for your help benemorius, but still no joy. My device is paired:

Code:
    Current Bluetooth master: ae:2d:22:00:ff:00
    Setting master bd_addr to ae:2d:22:00:ff:00
    I've also added the line to my main.conf file, when I start sixad I get the following message:

Code:
    Can't read version info hci0: Connection timed out (110)
    sixad-bin[18267]: sixad started, press the PS button now
    Then nothing happens, the controller doesnt connect
    Is there anything else in syslog from bluetoothd or networkmanager? Was there anything before editing main.conf? Do you have DEBUG=1 in /etc/default/sixad?

Code:
    HID create error 114 (Operation already in progress)
    Where did this output come from? It sounds similar to what I was getting in syslog from bluetoothd when it was interfering with things. In any case, it would seem to imply some kind of interference at least.

Beans

Let me try to clarify the situation in Natty (Ubuntu 11.04, latest release).

This release has several issues that prevents 'sixad' (the QtSixA background driver) from working correctly.

Issue #1 - Bluetooth not activated on boot.
    The bluetooth driver and interface will not be enabled during boot, causing the auto-connect udev rule to fail (no more "just press PS anytime-to connect").
    You can force bluetooth activation by running "sixad --stop" (bluez required)

Issue #2 - hcid does not work
    This is a kernel issue present at least on 2.6.37 and 2.6.38, that makes 'hcid' completely useless.
    This little app is used by sixad for blocking the normal bluetooth (bluetoothd) events.
    The "DisablePlugins = input" may do the trick here, but I haven't tested it yet.
    Other solution is to not use 2.6.38 (default on Natty), but an older kernel.
    This one works -> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....6.36.4-natty/

I made some changes recently that allow sixad to work without bluez installed, but it doesn't work on Natty since we need bluez to activate bluetooth...

so, resuming, if you really want to make sure this always works on Natty (bluetooth only, usb always works!), do this:
    1 - install an older kernel, like this one - http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....6.36.4-natty/ (Make sure you boot from this kernel!)
    2 - remove "bluetooth" and "bluez" packages completely
    3 - run 'sixad --boot-yes' to activate sixad on boot.
    (hm... reboot)

These 3 steps will get you 100% chance of sixad working, as long as the sixaxis is paired and it's not a fake, like "Gasia Gamepad".
    Last edited by falkTX; June 18th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Beans

Pardon my ignorance, but to install this kernel do I just install the two available deb files (headers and image)? Thanks!

Beans

Pardon my ignorance, but to install this kernel do I just install the two available deb files (headers and image)? Thanks!
    You can just install the *-image* if you don't have 3rd party drivers (ATI, NVIDIA, non-free Wireless or VirtualBox).
    If you need them ^, install all that end with *_all.deb and i386 if you're 32bit or amd64 for 64bit.
    You should install the headers first though.
    After install, reboot from that kernel.

If you don't see the select-kernel-to-boot menu after restart, try this:
    http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/medi.../Help:ShowGrub

Beans

Thanks again.
    I'll look into your patch, but sadly my PC is no good for running PCSX2 (crappy intel GPU).
    I did my tests with pSX, evtest and the n64 emulator (don't remember the name now...).

Is there "soft" game a I can try with PCSX2?
    (a game with very low graphics, even for PS2?)
    Actually, forcefeedback in PCSX2 is WIP (aka nothing work yet , it only a matter to have enough free time) I bought the ds3 one week ago. However it would be interfaced with SDL1.3 like potentially many games. I personally compile & test the SDL example. It is easy to understand
    File: SDL-1.3.0-5387/test/testhaptic.c

Note: PCSX2 have a pure software rendering plugin (libGSdx) if you have a not too slow cpu. For the moment I will do my test with colin mcrae rally 3 in the menu configuration of the game, you can configure the level of FF.

edit:
    I fix PCSX2 trunk. Forcefeedback begin to work. Thanks very much for qtsixa
    Last edited by gregory_38; June 19th, 2011 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gregory_38 View Post
    Actually, forcefeedback in PCSX2 is WIP (aka nothing work yet , it only a matter to have enough free time) I bought the ds3 one week ago. However it would be interfaced with SDL1.3 like potentially many games. I personally compile & test the SDL example. It is easy to understand
    File: SDL-1.3.0-5387/test/testhaptic.c

Note: PCSX2 have a pure software rendering plugin (libGSdx) if you have a not too slow cpu. For the moment I will do my test with colin mcrae rally 3 in the menu configuration of the game, you can configure the level of FF.

edit:
    I fix PCSX2 trunk. Forcefeedback begin to work. Thanks very much for qtsixa
    I don't like SDL much (mainly the Audio on linux has several issues), but I've seen other projects using sdl for joystick and it seems to work...
    What are the plans for PCSX2 regarding sdl - wait for 1.3 release, pre-compile a static version or what?
    (It seems like v1.3 can take some time before release)

Anyway, I pushed your patches to the latest Git, get it with:
    Code:
    git clone git://qtsixa.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/qtsixa/qtsixa
    I haven't tested the new changes though, but I'll do it very soon.

Beans

I don't like SDL much (mainly the Audio on linux has several issues), but I've seen other projects using sdl for joystick and it seems to work...
    What are the plans for PCSX2 regarding sdl - wait for 1.3 release, pre-compile a static version or what?
    (It seems like v1.3 can take some time before release)

Anyway, I pushed your patches to the latest Git, get it with:
    Code:
    git clone git://qtsixa.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/qtsixa/qtsixa
    I haven't tested the new changes though, but I'll do it very soon.
    Thanks, yes it would love some testing.

Well we use SDL for joystick, and one graphic plugin uses it for the graphic rendering. For us, SDL is cross-platform MSW/linux so it is handy. Anyway, SDL was duplicated in your repository (snapshot actually). So ours users can compile it and link it statically, it only a matter of a cmake options. I only hope they did not need years to release the next version.

Page 89 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast