Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

OH MY GAWD ! IT WORKS ... only in terminal mode ... The GUI gives me the same error

But in terminal it even says that it has an non-standart buffer size
    Code:
    sixad-raw[31647]: Connected 'PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (hidraw)' [Battery EF]sixad-raw[31647]: Notice: non-standard Sixaxis buffer size (49)
    ' [Battery EF]
    Just fix the gui that it is not sending another FAILURE message to me because it is not telling what it says at buffer size 50 ...

But big thanx ! The Tilting is working ! You rock
    Machine : TWISTED UP eMachines e525
    Linux is full of problems . Because of it I like it !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AngelDE98 View Post
    OH MY GAWD ! IT WORKS ... only in terminal mode ... The GUI gives me the same error

But in terminal it even says that it has an non-standart buffer size
    Code:
    sixad-raw[31647]: Connected 'PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (hidraw)' [Battery EF]sixad-raw[31647]: Notice: non-standard Sixaxis buffer size (49)
    ' [Battery EF]
    Just fix the gui that it is not sending another FAILURE message to me because it is not telling what it says at buffer size 50 ...

But big thanx ! The Tilting is working ! You rock
    hehe, I forgot about it...

But sixad-raw changes cannot be just adjusted in the GUI.
    I need to temporarily disable it for now...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

can anyone give me some pointers on how to automate this as much as possible? A bit of information about my system:

• ubuntu 10.10 on a mac mini (built-in bluetooth)
    • using a bluetooth keyboard to control this machine, i've got a feeling this will hinder the process of automating qtsixa the most.

couldn't get this thing running via the gui but in the console with sixad stop and start it worked. My user is in the sixad group.

while i really like that i can use my ps3 controller to play emulated games i don't like to have to manually start and stop sixad everytime i play

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blierp View Post
    can anyone give me some pointers on how to automate this as much as possible? A bit of information about my system:

• ubuntu 10.10 on a mac mini (built-in bluetooth)
    • using a bluetooth keyboard to control this machine, i've got a feeling this will hinder the process of automating qtsixa the most.

couldn't get this thing running via the gui but in the console with sixad stop and start it worked. My user is in the sixad group.

while i really like that i can use my ps3 controller to play emulated games i don't like to have to manually start and stop sixad everytime i play
    Hi,

Starting the GUI will *not* start the backend driver (I have no idea why people think that...)

Usually pressing the PS button is enough to start sixad,
    but something may happen if you have other BT stuff connected, yes.
    The only bluetooth capable devices I have are the sixaxis, so I was never able to test this...

Anyway, it should work fine if you connect the sixaxis first, then the keyboard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

thanks for your reply. I encountered another problem: my keyboard disconnects itself after 10 minutes of inactivity. If sixad is not running i can easily press a button and it reconnects. However, with sixad running this doesn't work. It just won't connect untill i kill sixad again. Any idea why this happens?

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

First off, looks like great work you've done here. Unfortunately, nothing yet works for me.
    I'm having trouble getting this running on Ubuntu 10.10 with either of my SixAxis controllers.

Specs:
    Ubuntu 10.10
    Asus USB-BT211 Dongle ( http://goo.gl/Gigwk ) (v2.1)

I've followed the steps on the QTSixa site ( http://qtsixa.sourceforge.net/ )
    I've followed a tutuial I found ( http://goo.gl/6MtPk ) on YouTube.
    I also read around and only got more confused when I saw this ( http://goo.gl/6MtPk ) in the ubuntu docs.
    I've tried pairing with USB cable attached as well as NOT attached.
    I also had to "apt-get install joystick" in order to even get USB working. I never saw anyone mention that install step?

Here are a few questions I've come up with:
    1) Am I supposed to be able to pair the SixAxis with ubuntu and my adapter "out of the box" without the help of QTSixA? That is what your docs seem to hint at. My SixAxis does not appear in the found list of my adapter when searching. (SixAxis in pair mode)

2) Based on the Ubuntu Docs I also tried:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install libusb-dev libusb-0.1-4
    But I get the same results in QTSixa and my adaptor.

This is what I see in QTSixa with USB attached and while "trying" to pair w BT.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by iDVB; January 4th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

Many falkTX for your work. What I don't understand is why when I use a PS3 controller with USB, XBMC works. when I pair my sixaxis with Qtsix, it works, but not under XBMC.

In USB mode, I need to enter :

Code:
    python /home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3\ BD\ Remote/ps3_remote.py localhost &> /etc/init.d/start_remote.log
    To get ot working, what to type to get BT working ? What did I do wrong ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by artik1024 View Post
    Many falkTX for your work. What I don't understand is why when I use a PS3 controller with USB, XBMC works. when I pair my sixaxis with Qtsix, it works, but not under XBMC.

In USB mode, I need to enter :

Code:
    python /home/xbmc/EventClients/Clients/PS3\ BD\ Remote/ps3_remote.py localhost &> /etc/init.d/start_remote.log
    To get ot working, what to type to get BT working ? What did I do wrong ?
    I dont know exactly what that command does, but you should check if the Sixaxis configuration is the default (ie, joystick mode only).

You can always create an input profile if everything else fails...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iDVB View Post
    First off, looks like great work you've done here. Unfortunately, nothing yet works for me.
    I'm having trouble getting this running on Ubuntu 10.10 with either of my SixAxis controllers.

Specs:
    Ubuntu 10.10
    Asus USB-BT211 Dongle ( http://goo.gl/Gigwk ) (v2.1)

I've followed the steps on the QTSixa site ( http://qtsixa.sourceforge.net/ )
    I've followed a tutuial I found ( http://goo.gl/6MtPk ) on YouTube.
    I also read around and only got more confused when I saw this ( http://goo.gl/6MtPk ) in the ubuntu docs.
    I've tried pairing with USB cable attached as well as NOT attached.
    I also had to "apt-get install joystick" in order to even get USB working. I never saw anyone mention that install step?

Here are a few questions I've come up with:
    1) Am I supposed to be able to pair the SixAxis with ubuntu and my adapter "out of the box" without the help of QTSixA? That is what your docs seem to hint at. My SixAxis does not appear in the found list of my adapter when searching. (SixAxis in pair mode)

2) Based on the Ubuntu Docs I also tried:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install libusb-dev libusb-0.1-4
    But I get the same results in QTSixa and my adaptor.

This is what I see in QTSixa with USB attached and while "trying" to pair w BT.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Hi, sorry for the late reply

Don't care about the ubuntu documentation, it's very old (could be a fossil by now...)
    Installing 'joystick' is *not* required.

Basically, here are the steps required to use Sixaxis, in bluetooth mode:

1 - Pair the Sixaxis to your bluetooth dongle
    This is made by connecting the sixaxis over USB, with the bluetooth dongle on USB too (unless it's internal, of course).
    You can check if the sixaxis is properly connected with 'lsusb', and the bluetooth dongle with 'hcitool dev'.
    If all is ok, run:
    Code:
    sudo sixpair
    And the sixaxis will be paired, first step completed. You can now remove the sixaxis from USB.

2 - Connect over bluetooth
    Usually, if the sixaxis is paired, pressing the PS button should auto-connect the sixaxis (it has a udev rule).
    If that doesnt happen, wait until it stops blinking (you can force it by using 'hcitool dc <mac>' [get <mac> using 'hcitool con']).
    Then run:
    Code:
    sixad --stop
    sixad --start
    And press the PS button again. It *must* connect now. If not, consider it a bug and please report back to me.

One thing worth trying is edit '/etc/default/sixad' and change debug mode to 1 (DEBUG=1), so you can get more messages out of the sixad.

You can do all this without even starting the GUI. (QtSixA).
    Use the GUI if you need to change profiles, or maybe to disconnect stuff.

btw, you may ask 'how do I know when the sixaxis is connected?'.
    If you ran 'sixad --start' from the terminal, a message will printed everytime a device connects (sixaxis or keypad).
    Unless you changed the default profile, the sixaxis should animate the leds (and rumble if supported).

I hope this clears up something

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blierp View Post
    thanks for your reply. I encountered another problem: my keyboard disconnects itself after 10 minutes of inactivity. If sixad is not running i can easily press a button and it reconnects. However, with sixad running this doesn't work. It just won't connect untill i kill sixad again. Any idea why this happens?
    This happens because the sixad driver kinda conflicts with the normal bluetooth (the sixaxis is a very weird device).
    I've been trying to hack into bluez to make the sixaxis work out-of-the-box (no more sixad), but it's not easy at all...

and I dont have any other bluetooth devices except 2 sixaxis and a keypad, so I can't test/work this, sorry

but if you find a workaround, let me know

Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast