Page 10 of 109 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Done. That should be fixed now.

But please run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    cause it will require installation of new packages (the ones that were missing)

Beans

With the accelerometers working in the new driver, it's possible to use it in a variety of games. One of the best ones for this is "NeverBall"
    Neverball don't has an option to configure joysticks, but you can open it's configuration file and edit the joystick axis stuff. For that run:
    Code:
    xdg-open $HOME/.neverball/neverballrc
    At line 30, it says:
    Code:
    joystick_axis_x           0
    joystick_axis_y           1
    Change it to:
    Code:
    joystick_axis_x           4
    joystick_axis_y           5
    The next time you'll start Neverball (and if 'sixad', the new driver, is running), moving the Sixaxis (no need for buttons) will move the table, controlling the ball!
    I can tell you from my personal experience - it's awesome stuff!

Beans

@stingerid4:
    can you please connect the sixaxis pad and run:
    Code:
    hcitool name 00:23:06:68:66:3A
    I'll start using hcitool to get the 'list of connected Sixaxis', which will report any that has the name "PLAYSTATION(3) Controller". (to be able to show Sixaxis connect by different methods other than QtSixA)

Maybe the pad has a different name, which would make it not appear on the list. We don't want that to happen, so I need to know what name it reports.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Code:
    stinger@psubuntu:~$ hcitool name 00:23:06:68:66:3A
    Wireless Keypad
    no playstation 3 in the name

tried to play NetherBall .. but uhm .. doesn't really work on the PS3 .. guess it needs a little hardware rendering hehe.

Not sure how else to test the gyro function.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stingerid4 View Post
    Code:
    stinger@psubuntu:~$ hcitool name 00:23:06:68:66:3A
    Wireless Keypad
    no playstation 3 in the name

tried to play NetherBall .. but uhm .. doesn't really work on the PS3 .. guess it needs a little hardware rendering hehe.

Not sure how else to test the gyro function.
    Just tell me it works on PPC OSes...

does:
    Code:
    jstest /dev/input/js0
    Moves the 4-7 axis?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

oooh js0, yeah it works beautifully! Though axis 4-5-6 move, not 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stingerid4 View Post
    oooh js0, yeah it works beautifully! Though axis 4-5-6 move, not 7
    Nice! Now all I need to know now is if it works on 64bit PCs too (not just PowerPC and i386)

I'm also preparing an init script, to launched at boot, so Sixaxis can actually be connected while booting (not sure if it will work or not)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have been using the program for the last month or two, and I must say it is improving rapidly! It's really great that I can use my DS3 for games and videos. I'm excited about the new init script as I am trying to completely avoid using a keyboard and mouse on my living room HTPC.

I was wondering if there was any chance of implementing a way to make our own key configurations on our machine? The new button is all greyed out on mine, where we used to be able to make a new file to send you, so I was wondering what is up with that?

Also, I just wanted to see how much interest there was on the forums for setting up a paypal donation box or something so that falkTX can get some more hardware to test to help speed up testing. Perhaps this is a silly idea, but if everyone chips in $5-$10 then he could do more testing on multiple controllers, the keyboard, and perhaps other alternative controllers as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Polk1986 View Post
    I have been using the program for the last month or two, and I must say it is improving rapidly! It's really great that I can use my DS3 for games and videos. I'm excited about the new init script as I am trying to completely avoid using a keyboard and mouse on my living room HTPC.

I was wondering if there was any chance of implementing a way to make our own key configurations on our machine? The new button is all greyed out on mine, where we used to be able to make a new file to send you, so I was wondering what is up with that?

Also, I just wanted to see how much interest there was on the forums for setting up a paypal donation box or something so that falkTX can get some more hardware to test to help speed up testing. Perhaps this is a silly idea, but if everyone chips in $5-$10 then he could do more testing on multiple controllers, the keyboard, and perhaps other alternative controllers as well.
    Thanks!

The reason the "new profile" buttons is greyed out is because QtSixA now has to run as root (need for battery function, also you won't have to type password several times...). The created file is automatically putted in the user Docs folder, but since the app run as root, that will go to the root folder (that should never happen).
    I'll try to implement a 'select-location-to-save-file' thing when the profile is complete.

This is why the webpage buttons are also grey-out, cause clicking on them would launch a browser as root...

Beans

Update:
    * Changed the way Sixaxis are detected, now through 'hcitool', making appear Sixaxis connected using methods other than QtSixA
    * Display Sixaxis keypads when connected through USB
    * GUI refresh interval is now 5 seconds instead of 3

On the 'extra-sixa-modules', the new driver, there's now 2 more buttons (at the end). Those buttons are triggered when the horizontal/vertical accelerometer is moved quickly (something like the Wii controller does). The code for buttons are not yet finished, but are usable now.

I haven't found a good game to try this yet, if you did - tell me!

To test the driver, run in a terminal - 'sixad'
    Last edited by falkTX; July 24th, 2009 at 09:52 AM.

Page 10 of 109 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast