Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is A Browser?

Beans

Re: What Is A Browser?

Quote Originally Posted by konqueror7 View Post
    i just want to share this video about google employees asking people in NY what is a browser,,,=)

link
    This highlights so well why people stay with IE.
    If people knew more then M$ was doomed in all areas except perhaps XBox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by darthmob View Post
    I wonder what the answers would have been in a non english-speaking country as they most likely would not have known the meaning of the word browse. I guess that more people would have said IE or Firefox.
    Same questions but done in Rotterdam, Holland

After watching Google's original "What is a Browser?" video during one of our lectures this morning, we decided to put our city to the test. We headed out in to Rotterdam with the same questions as the original interview.

shot, chopped and subbed by students of the Rotterdam Institute for Communications, Media and IT in 8 hours
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEt0N3xu0Do
    Simple is designed and created by using the very best icons created by the open source community

Simple - Download Link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OMG.

What is really interesting to me is that these interviews were conducted in the financial capital of one of the most developed countries in the world, where computer and Internet access is widespread. The US holds 40% of the IP addresses worldwide and more than 5 IPs per capita.

Now I understand why people use Internet Explorer, why is so hard to increase the Linux user base and why is so easy to spread viruses, hoaxes, fud or other types of computer crap and why it is so easy to brainwash people.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wipeout140 View Post

nice addition, though can't understand a thing...

these kinds of videos somehow show, which people are curios about things and those who are just content with the thing they have...

look at what MS did, supplying all PCs and laptops with pre-installed applications and OSs, and what? people just stuck on it...

somehow i feel that the linux community are also responsible, if a distro such as ubuntu or anything else that would be available to users, market share for OS wouldn't be as it is now...though i still think that most computer business will still chose windows over linux since it adds additional profit...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    OMG.

What is really interesting to me is that these interviews were conducted in the financial capital of one of the most developed countries in the world, where computer and Internet access is widespread. The US holds 40% of the IP addresses worldwide and more than 5 IPs per capita.

Now I understand why people use Internet Explorer, why is so hard to increase the Linux user base and why is so easy to spread viruses, hoaxes, fud or other types of computer crap and why it is so easy to brainwash people.
    yeah, you expect things great from the US when from your other countries. i think only 1 did answer correctly (the bearded guy)...

Beans
    Hidden!

A browser... isn't that the giant turtle with spikes on its back that fights Mario?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nice addition, though can't understand a thing...

these kinds of videos somehow show, which people are curios about things and those who are just content with the thing they have...

look at what MS did, supplying all PCs and laptops with pre-installed applications and OSs, and what? people just stuck on it...

somehow i feel that the linux community are also responsible, if a distro such as ubuntu or anything else that would be available to users, market share for OS wouldn't be as it is now...though i still think that most computer business will still chose windows over linux since it adds additional profit...
    You could of enabled sub titles like it did after few seconds of the video because my dutch is pretty poor aswell . The arrow pointing upwards and selecting CC then your language e.g. English. Then you can read the sub titles on what people said
    Simple is designed and created by using the very best icons created by the open source community

Simple - Download Link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wipeout140 View Post
    ok, they are equally clueless.

yeah, you expect things great from the US when from your other countries.
    to be honest, no. prejudices are seldom positive and the US is no exception. at least that's what I think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yeah, you expect things great from the US when from your other countries. i think only 1 did answer correctly (the bearded guy)...
    Yep. I live in a country under development (Brazil), where education and per capita income are terrible. I guess if you ask which browser they use here some people will say Orkut.

There was a TV show here where the interviewers asked several general knowledge questions to see what people would answer. It was scary. I thought it was expected in a country with huge educational issues, until I saw the same type of show made in the US and it was as bad as here. Go figure.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by darthmob View Post
    ok, they are equally clueless.

to be honest, no. prejudices are seldom positive and the US is no exception. at least that's what I think.
    i'm from the philippines and germany,,,germany is already the 'US' in europe, but when it comes to international popularity here in my country, every foreigner they see is called 'kano' or american, they expect great things from the US, our president was a so called 'kiss ***' of G.W. Bush, the good life is in the US, and so on and so forth...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast