Re: Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

Quote Originally Posted by syntheticz View Post
    I have a Macbook Pro 5,5
    2.53ghz Intel Core 2 duo
    13'3 inch display model
    Nvidia 9400M 256MB DDR3 shared
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.

I can confirm that on this model the measures in post no.98 do work, I have full sound support after taking these steps. However, I had to change the kernel numbers to account for the updated kernel in 10.10.
    Sorry to bump an old thread here, but it is very applicable to my problem.
    I ran 'sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/sound' and then 'sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.35-23-generic' thinking that it would update but it says it couldn't find the modules. Now I have NO sound. I used to have headphone sound but have nothing now. I am running PinguyOS on my Macbook Pro 5,5 and it says I am running kernel 2.6.35-23-generic.
    Any assistance to get my sound up and running would be great!
    Blog - pakos.me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread here, but it is very applicable to my problem.
    I ran 'sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/sound' and then 'sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.35-23-generic linux-image-2.6.35-23-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.35-23-generic' thinking that it would update but it says it couldn't find the modules. Now I have NO sound. I used to have headphone sound but have nothing now. I am running PinguyOS on my Macbook Pro 5,5 and it says I am running kernel 2.6.35-23-generic.
    Any assistance to get my sound up and running would be great!
    Anyone able to help me? I've had no sound for a few weeks now and need some assistance...
    Blog - pakos.me

Beans

Got my solution to getting sound to work on the PinguyOS forum.
    I ran sudo apt-get update
    Then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Rebooted and ran alsamixer and unmuted the front speakers...Sound! Woot...
    Cheers.
    Blog - pakos.me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Apologies if this was discovered earlier and I missed it. I've spent hours and hours playing with alsamixer and countless other solutions on and off over the past year with various distros in various arrangements (single, double and triple boots) and never gotten more than sound from the headphone jack until today. Admittedly I'm ignorant of most things linux (probably because I end up spending the first few days with it fighting with things like this and that's a little discouraging) so don't expect some crazy terminal solution that edits 42 separate configuration files.

The steps that brought sound back into my life:
    1. Boot from the Mac OS X install DVD
    2. Restart without doing anything
    3. Shout something in an exuberant manner, profanity and fist pumping are encouraged when you hear the Ubuntu startup theme

As far as I can tell nothing has changed in alsamixer since the reboot. The reason that I tried this was that prior to this I was running a Mac OS X/Windows 7 dual boot which defaulted to Windows 7. I always found it irritating that if OS X was not muted I would hear its startup theme when booting into Windows, regardless of what the volume was under Windows. OS X seemed to be far too ingrained with the dual boot and even now with only 10.10 installed I still briefly see a grey boot screen reminiscent of OS X. So how much control could OS X have from the grave? Apparently enough to keep the laptop muted.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can figure out what was going on, I'm just happy this debacle is over.

Beans

Hi, sorry to bring up an old problem again.
    I am using mbp 5,5
    ubuntu 10.10 2.6.35-25-generic

I tried to commands in post # 98,
    but when I tried
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-13-generic
    I got no packages installed, fair enough I have 35-25, so i substituted in those numbers
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.35-25-generic
    but I got a message "couldnt find linux-restricted-modules-2.6.35-25-generic"
    but the other 2 did completed, so i ran the rest of the code after reboot
    from wget - sudo make install
    I have made sure front speakers aren't muted
    but still no sound.
    what should i do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dunsta View Post
    I am using mbp 5,5

but when I tried
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-13-generic
    I got no packages installed, fair enough I have 35-25, so i substituted in those numbers
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.35-25-generic
    but still no sound.
    what should i do?
    First off, thank you! I'm really new to Ubuntu and I was really lost trying to figure out how to fix my sound. I had already found post #98, but it wouldn't work for me. I stumbled upon your post, and decided to try substituting "35-25" for "28-13". And it worked! I still got the same error you did, but at least the other two were installed. Anyway, after a few more hours of frustrated web browsing, I decided to just go on to the next step in post #98, and after I tweaked my volumes, it worked! As I said, I'm no authoritative source, but since it worked for me, maybe you should give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Quote Originally Posted by dunsta View Post
    I am using mbp 5,5

but when I tried
    Code:
    Code:
    but still no sound.
    what should i do?
    I don't use a mbp anymore so i'm a bit behind on installations for it, but i did have a 5,5 with 10.4 and i never had to reinstall the kernel to get sound working. I do recall that i took a few fresh installs to get it going though-the mbp gave the impression of being anti-anything that was not mac os. anyway, 10.11 worked out of the box from memory.

you've probably tried this, but it's all i can think of right now: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ro5-5/Maverick

good luck

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223