Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wich OS will be fine for my old PC?

Beans

Wich OS will be fine for my old PC?

I have an old PC and i want to use it ,but i odnt know wich OS will be better for it ,these are the performances of the PC
    Pentium II
    4GB Hard Disk
    64MB RAM

I have tried to install Damn small linux but it doesent boot UP the OS,dont know whats the problem, i have tried Puppy too but it says canit find pup_420.sfs

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Wich OS will be fine for my old PC?

Is there anything else, i.e. O/Ss and/or data/programs currently on the hard drive ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sounds like a bad burn on the Puppy CD.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans

definitely a bad burn on the puppy cd, those specs should be fine i think. puppy was my first distro cause i needed the live disk + save file + ability to remove disk while running function (bit of a long story)

i loved it, so i hope it works for you

EDIT: come to think of it a bad burn was probably the issue with damn small linux to, just set the burn speed to really slow (around 4x)
    Last edited by TheNosh; June 16th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Beans

Lots of great information in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

I agree that DSL and Puppy are good starting points.

Beans

But im not insalling the OS-es from CD but from USB
    The Hard drive is formatted and i created a linux partition 1.2Gb ,installed on it DSL but it says there is no Active partition on The HDD
    Last edited by Besian; June 16th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try wiping the USB and putting the image back on and go from there. Also you may retry downloading it again from a different source.
    Last edited by ZackM; June 16th, 2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typooo

Beans

I download and try puppy and DSL in NTFS partition and Linux partition ,maybe it will work

Beans

I dont know whats the problem i cant install any Linux distros in my PC , installed DSL but the PC doesn't boot Up , it says only "there is no active partition on the HDD" ,when i open this HDD with another PC it says "disk is not formated" , i formatted it but the same problem comes up ,install DSL , it doesen't boot up ,open the HDD it says "the disk is not formatted "

If i dont find any Linux distro for my PC , i am obliged to install windows or another OS , i dont have other choice , i cant waste time testing those distros that doesn't function

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Besian View Post
    I dont know whats the problem i cant install any Linux distros in my PC , installed DSL but the PC doesn't boot Up , it says only "there is no active partition on the HDD" ,when i open this HDD with another PC it says "disk is not formated" , i formatted it but the same problem comes up ,install DSL , it doesen't boot up ,open the HDD it says "the disk is not formatted "

If i dont find any Linux distro for my PC , i am obliged to install windows or another OS , i dont have other choice , i cant waste time testing those distros that doesn't function
    I found with my Compaq I had to unplug the sata and put in a IDE hdd then it worked fine for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast