Thread: VLC - force subtitle font

Beans

VLC - force subtitle font

It is possible somehow to force VLC player to use specific subtitle fonts? Because he is ignoring my settings and is still using some default sans, very bold and wide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: VLC - force subtitle font

You can set the subtitles in the "Subtitles & OSD" section of the preferences. Set the path to the font you want to use in the option "Font" of the "Display" options. You need to stop and restart the video to make effect.

I would recommend you to try smplayer [apt-get]. It has an excellent subtitle support and several nice features. In my opinion, it is as good as VLC or even better, depending on what you need.

Beans

I have already set my custom font(Arial), but VLC ignores my settings. That's why i was asking for forcing that font.

Basically i am fine with Totem Gstreamer with all plugins like ffmpeg, good, bad, ugly - but it doesn't support Advanced SubStation Alpha subtitles.(A-S-S)

How about smplayer, does it supports ***/SSA subtitles ? Also i want something what will blend with GNOME, so KDE crystal icons are unacceptable.
    Last edited by 6205; June 16th, 2009 at 06:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 6205 View Post
    I have already set my custom font(Arial), but VLC ignores my settings. That's why i was asking for forcing that font.
    Something is wrong. Maybe you could try another font.

How about smplayer, does it supports ***/SSA subtitles ? Also i want something what will blend with GNOME, so KDE crystal icons are unacceptable.
    Yes, it supports SSA subtitles. There are also several GUI options, including GTK/Gnome icons (see attachment).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

mmmm...i give it a try

btw. whats new in mplayer development, because look like they are inactive quite some time. also mplayer-plugin is almost a year old..

only VLC and gsreamer plugins are in constant development
    Last edited by 6205; June 16th, 2009 at 08:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

mmmm...i give it a try

btw. whats new in mplayer development, because look like they are inactive quite some time. also mplayer-plugin is almost a year old..

only VLC and gsreamer plugins are in constant development

I use gecko-mediaplayer [apt-get] plugin, which is great imo.

Beans

Hi 6205,

btw. whats new in mplayer development, because look like they are inactive quite some time.
    MPlayer has been in constant development with changes and improvements committed every day. What you have perhaps been looking at is the so-called rc versions, the last of which came out in 2007. There is however a newer version available in the Karmic repository.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?