Thread: PPC Problems installing 5.10 on wallstreet

Beans

PPC Problems installing 5.10 on wallstreet

Anyone successful in installing 5.1 on wall street PPC? Having trouble with the install. Keeps stopping during partitioning. Tells me it is "out of memory." Need help. Have machine and need to make it more useful. Thanks.
    Last edited by maxkam; June 14th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: PPC Problems installing 5.10 on wallstreet

Quote Originally Posted by maxkam View Post
    Anyone successful in installing 5.1 on wall street PPC? Having trouble with the install. Keeps stopping during partitioning. Tells me it is "out of memory." Need help. Have machine and need to make it more useful. Thanks.
    5.10 is VERY VERY old. I don't think it will do you much good even if you can get it to install (do the repos for this even exist still?)

Maybe you can checkout one of the newer releases:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/

Beans

I know it is old, but it seems to be the only version that works with this chip. There are several articles that offer step by step instructions on how to install this version, but I think I may have run into a new problem. If there is another form of Linux that would work on a wallstreet that I don't know about, I'm open to all suggestions.

I run Jaunty on an old pc as well and love it. I just want to make this old dinosaur useful. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by maxkam View Post
    I know it is old, but it seems to be the only version that works with this chip. There are several articles that offer step by step instructions on how to install this version, but I think I may have run into a new problem. If there is another form of Linux that would work on a wallstreet that I don't know about, I'm open to all suggestions.

I run Jaunty on an old pc as well and love it. I just want to make this old dinosaur useful. Thanks.
    (It seems like I keep repeating myself. This isn't your fault, maxkam, it's just that it seems like a lot of people lately are trying to use old hardware.)

What I would strongly encourage and suggest you do is try Debian. Make sure you've got a good dedicated ethernet connection to your router, and then get yourself the PPC net install disc. That should be decent and quick enough to keep you from wasting more time than you need to.

It's all text-mode when it starts, but once you have installed what you want, it'll give you a graphical UI (Gnome by default).

If you want, you could also go download a 32 bit PPC version of Fedora. Much else out there I wouldn't be too apt to recommend because of newness factors.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

I appreciate the help from you all. I will try the alternate versions of Linux on this machine and I will update you (if you are at all interested). Any known problems with the install of Fedora or Debian?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have G3 Lombard, with Debian Lenny. I think it work just fine. Try some light DE like fluxbox.

Beans

Is that G3 a New World or Old World. I have an Old World Wallstreet with 8 GB Memory and 64MB RAM. Not much to work with.

Beans

Still no success with 5.10. Also tried Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu and Ubuntu 9.1. The install stalls in the middle of partitioning. I would like to try Debian or something else, but it seems different distros of linux cannot read the cd-rom drive or some other problem occurs. Need advice from someone who was successful with this install. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have Debian Lenny on a G3 Pismo...newworld though...