Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    I had considered the encrypted home directory idea, but fstab mounts are done early in the boot process long before a user logs in and decrypts their home directory, no?
    I thought that as well, but it works for me. Before Jaunty I used full-disk encryption, so I kept my credentials file in my home directory and it was decrypted along with everything else long before login. In Jaunty I'm using an encrypted home directory, and I left my credentials file in there to see what would happen. It worked just the same as always. I was of the impression that fstab mounts happened before login, but apparently either I was wrong or that's been changed in Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro

I have a lot of links to my previous fstab mounts in various applications, so I decided to ease the transition by deleting the mount point folders (mine were in /mnt) and creating symbolic links to the hidden gvfs share directories:

Code:
    sudo ln -s ~/.gvfs/'sharename on server' /mnt/sharename
    Of course you could do the same thing in your home directory:

Code:
    ln -s ~/.gvfs/'mp3s on server' ~/Music/shared
    The next thing that I really need to verify is that files that I create on these shares are accessible to other users (I had to force 777 permissions on my NAS drives in fstab before).

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    The next thing that I really need to verify is that files that I create on these shares are accessible to other users (I had to force 777 permissions on my NAS drives in fstab before).
    I don't seem to have any trouble with permissions between Ubuntu and Vista and using different NAS user logins on each. I've tested this on a Buffalo Linkstation and an HP MediaVault so far. This was always a pita with fstab, so this seems to be yet another major advantage to gvfs.

Perhaps the next thing to test is whether that annoying gedit bug that complained so loudly when saving files on Samba shares is also resolved in gvfs (I expect that it will be).

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps the next thing to test is whether that annoying gedit bug that complained so loudly when saving files on Samba shares is also resolved in gvfs (I expect that it will be).
    Indeed! Gedit doesn't seem to freak out when saving files over gvfs. I had given up using gedit for any real work because this bug was so frustrating, but now I may go back to it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a lot of links to my previous fstab mounts in various applications, so I decided to ease the transition by deleting the mount point folders (mine were in /mnt) and creating symbolic links to the hidden gvfs share directories:

Code:
    sudo ln -s ~/.gvfs/'sharename on server' /mnt/sharename
    Of course you could do the same thing in your home directory:

Code:
    ln -s ~/.gvfs/'mp3s on server' ~/Music/shared
    This is a great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it. In case anyone tries to use GVFS mounts with Rhythmbox you may run into a bug in Rhythmbox which prevents these mounts from being used. Your symlink idea may fix this.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    This is a great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it. In case anyone tries to use GVFS mounts with Rhythmbox you may run into a bug in Rhythmbox which prevents these mounts from being used. Your symlink idea may fix this.
    It works in Exaile just fine.

I did just run into a situation that gave me some trouble, however. I tried to mount a disk image on one of my remote shares using Unetbootin, but it couldn't see my symbolic links and even more strangely the .gvfs directory was also not visible in my home directory. The same thing happens with gedit, so it's not just a Unetbootin issue. It appears that when programs run as root they don't have access to these shares.

That could be problematic at times, but there's probably a way to work around it (by mounting the share manually, I assume).

I also think it's odd that I don't experience the gedit bug now, given that these shares are still mounted via Samba. Anyone else who knows this bug want to give this a shot? I definitely still had them when I first installed Jaunty and I was mounting them using CIFS via fstab.
    Last edited by michaelzap; July 5th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.

There is already a list of shares in the keyring...

Code:
    import gnomekeyring
    def list_all():

for obj in gnomekeyring.find_network_password_sync(None,None,None,None,"smb"):

mount = "%s://%s:%s@%s" % (obj["protocol"], obj["user"], obj["password"], obj["server"])
            print mount

if __name__ == '__main__':
        list_all()
    Last edited by KillerKiwi; July 6th, 2009 at 05:14 AM.

Beans

Well, I am a pretty heavy user of my file shares. I'm often reading/writing large amounts of data to and from the shares. Already, in the past 2 days, I've had dbus-gvfs hang on me once, and I've had gvfs just drop the mount 4 - 6 times.

I'm not particularly frustrated because I've always had problems between Ubuntu and a SMB server when heavily accessing large files. It works fine on the same computer Vista > SMB.

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions or troubleshooting steps I'd be glad to hear them.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Spenzer4Hire View Post
    Of course, if anyone has any suggestions or troubleshooting steps I'd be glad to hear them.
    You're not copying the files over wireless, are you? I've had some issues with large files over wireless since the last kernel update. I actually haven't noticed it happen since I switched to GVFS, but that may just be due to not copying many large files sine then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[quote=NTolerance;7453309]Concept

The file manager in MS Windows has a nice feature called "Map Network Drive". This allows you to permanently assign Samba shares to a drive letter which any program can access. It can be made persistent across reboots. This feature is tremendous when you have a Samba server on your network that has files you need to continuously access.

I followed this to a "T" and it didnt work... no mount... any suggestions..??

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast