Thread: output over hdmi is too large (nvida)

Beans

output over hdmi is too large (nvida)

hi im running ubutu 9.10 with the standard nvida proprietry drivers as a media center. the output is over hdmi, through a a/v reciver and onto a lcd television. my proble mis that the output is too large for the screen even whan outputting at a smaller resoultion than the native resolution of the television. this means that the top, bottom, left and right of the output is chopped off. in windows i can adjust the size of the output useing some sliders to get the image to fit the screen. however these are only available in the windows drivers and i cannot find a substitute in the ubuntu ones. one way of doing it may be to output black bard at the sides of the screen but i have no idea how to do this. thanks for any help DR.cable

Beans

Re: output over hdmi is too large (nvida)

bump with more information
    the model of the tv is a panasonic viera th-37pxoba.
    thanks again gor any help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: output over hdmi is too large (nvida)

the options you are looking for are called "overscan" (or more precisely in your case, underscan).

look in the nvidia cp to see if your card/driver allows you overscan control. it varies by model of card. my 7950 has it, but every card I've tried in the 8200-8600 series have not been compatible with overscan control

hopefully it will be there, and work out for you.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.