Thread: The Desktop is just a mechanism to connect to the cloud

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: The Desktop is just a mechanism to connect to the cloud

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I hate the cloud
    +1. I would like not to have to pay to store my private data on some far away computer. the most i'm willing to risk is my email...even that, i backup my data to my hard drive/external/flashdrive/second computer
    Last edited by privatejarhead; July 2nd, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxguymarshall View Post
    I have actually created my own Cloud server running Apache and eyeOS. It is all I need.

No loss of freedom or privacy.
    This is great! I'd like to learn more about it. How do you connect? Via RDP or a browser or how? Very interesting technology.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Question, can your home server show you financial records while you are at work? Can it play music to you while you are on vacation?

Does your home server push email to your phone? Does it push new rss posts to your phone?

Now do you see the advantage of the cloud?
    1) smartphone/flasdrive/etc

2) mp3 player

3) phone w/internet connection

4) smartphone/etc

there are advantages to cloud-computing, yes, but i see it as mainly for businesses that need access to important files wherever they go and not having to backup everything onto their hard drives on their laptops and etc. but for personal use, there are devices out there that do the job much better than could can, plus i value privacy and control over my data over what i see to be a careless way to store data. it also sucks whenever you have to pay for data storage when you have a perfectly fine hard drive/flashdrive/external at home.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jbruced View Post
    I keep stuff on the cloud and local. I've used the cloud to restore data, and it was a life saver. In most cases, a professional cloud based service company will do a lot more than the individual user to backup and protect valuable data.

Great point, I'm a power user and even i don't back anything up. It's a big relief to me know that so much of what i do is safe.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by privatejarhead View Post
    1) smartphone/flasdrive/etc

2) mp3 player

3) phone w/internet connection

4) smartphone/etc

there are advantages to cloud-computing, yes, but i see it as mainly for businesses that need access to important files wherever they go and not having to backup everything onto their hard drives on their laptops and etc. but for personal use, there are devices out there that do the job much better than could can, plus i value privacy and control over my data over what i see to be a careless way to store data. it also sucks whenever you have to pay for data storage when you have a perfectly fine hard drive/flashdrive/external at home.
    What flashdrive size are you using that can store all of your data? I need to get me one of those. It automatically backs up your data as you work? Or do you manually have to do it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    What flashdrive size are you using that can store all of your data? I need to get me one of those. It automatically backs up your data as you work? Or do you manually have to do it?
    right now, im a high school student, so i only need to store my data for school (and ubuntu stuff like howto's). i use a sandisk cruzer 8gb flashdrive, but yet again my needs are small. i manually backup my data every so often on both my computers (ie copy and paste lol). for my music, i have a sansa view 8gb, which will take awhile for me to fill up (450 songs atm after owning it for a year and a half), so between those 16gb i have all the storage i need. maybe when i need more than that ill look at how to build my own home server

Beans

just about everything the cloud can do you can do from your own network/computer. if data backup is what you want, get a RAID 5 array. cheaper over time. if filesharing or music streaming over the internet is what you want set up a server. I don't see why anyone would think you need to look to external services to do what they could do on their own.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456