Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Desktop is just a mechanism to connect to the cloud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The Desktop is just a mechanism to connect to the cloud

You read the title, what are you thoughts? Personally my desktop computer is starting to solely exist as a mechanism to connect to the cloud.

All my email is stored via Gmail, I no longer have music stored on my hard drive relying on web based services such as Pandora, and Last.fm Likewise the majority of my files are stored on a remote server, using Places>>connect to server I create a bookmark of the remote location, allowing me to interact with the files as if they were stored on my own desktop.

What are your thought?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: The Desktop is just a mechanism to connect to the cloud

I hate the cloud
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I hate the cloud
    +0.5, I like some cloud services but not all. The only ones that I really like are Pandora and Dropbox

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The cloud is fine.

Until it rains.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

I like the idea of not having to restore 50 gbs of pictures for a customer who never backed up their data. Give them the cloud. Companies can use the cloud to archive old data files so there isn't accounting data from 1980 being put to tape every night (seriously happens) give them the cloud. you got to match the need to the cloud. Some stuff like encrypted email storage of govt contracts...probably not giving them the cloud. but maybe I Am wrong...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't believe in Cloud-Computing for many (and many will agree with me) Valid reasons.

Cloud-Computer does offer many useful advantages, and I won't deny there are some unique properties to it, like not being restricted to where you are. And virtualization allows for your to use your available resources to their full efficiency.

But I don't like using any service I don't have full control over. I use and like gmail, but that is generally the most extent I'll go...Whenever people start hosting OS's on cloud-computers and storing all of their data on someone elses computer, I sure as hell won't be. For security and privacy reasons, i don't want my personal and important data to be handled by someone else. You can't know (and i wouldn't put it past ANY company in this position) that they wouldn't mine data.

Not to mention you have to pay for a service, and as soon as you stop paying for that service you have no access whatsoever to everything you have with your 'cloud-computer'

This is the same issue with the new OnLive. Sure, it is a great idea, but it is cloud-computing and an incredibly efficient DRM (Digital Rights Management) scheme. You pay for a service. The service allows you to "purchase" and play games through their Service. But if you stop paying you just loose a few hundred dollars (or more or less), of games that you never really owned in the first place. You basically paid a lot of money for the rights to play the game so long as you paid for their service.

Though, You can also set up your own home to provide you these resources..Mail servers, ssh -x and etc.
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans

the cloud is cool and all for those features you mentioned but i always want a local copy for important stuff
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I hate the cloud
    +1. The cloud is a lie.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro

Wow that got quite a big response very fast. Personally I use rsync to backup all my files nightly to my remote web server. This way I can access them anywhere I go. I'm storing the files on my web server Dreamhost who gives me 50gb for personal storage, and considering you can scoop up a Dreamhost account for as little as $10 a year using a coupon this is amazing.

There is an old saying that says if your truly concerned about the security of your data, disconnect your computer from the internet, and lock it up. Sure Gmail, or Mozy, or even Drop Box could mine your data, but if caught they will suffer a huge lose. They will most likely be sued, millions of customers will leave, and the company will see a great exodous. Would Mozy for example really risk losing everything to mine your data? I think not.

Beans

I don't know if I'll ever really understand what fundamentally separates "the cloud"(TM) from "Using the Internet". People mention gmail, pandora, lastfm, and dropbox. 10 years ago we had hotmail, mp3.com, shoutcast, and geocities. Sure it's easier, faster, and bigger; but I'm not sure how fundamentally it changes what you can do.

Is it just a question of putting your data on some other server? If that's all the cloud really amounts to, count me out. I guess I must be an old-fashioned oddball, but most days I'm either at home, or two miles away at work. I've rarely found myself in desperate need of a piece of data located in one place or the other, but if I am there's ssh. Everytime they talk about having access to my "data" from anywhere, I wonder where they think I'm gonna be and what they think I'm gonna need?

Maybe I'll understand it some day.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast