Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A little respect for Stallman.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

A little respect for Stallman.

I see many people in here, and they strike me as being rather young, who seem content to jump on the 'Stallman is wierd and.....' bandwagon. I'd love it if they would spend a few minutes in their search engine of choice and research exactly what men like Richard Stallman have provided us. How could you mock an individual whose actions in no small way resulted in forums such as these? or your favourite distro?

But no. you're young, ungrateful, and everything is just another form of entertainment for you meager attention span.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A little respect for Stallman.

Well, I'm 36 and I think rms can be a bit weird and eccentric.

However, I also have a lot of respect for what the man's done and what he's no doubt gone through over the years in getting what is now generally recognized as the F/OSS movement started, going, and credible.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, he certainly takes a strong position... but you have to respect someone who is so active for what they believe.

I don't really have a problem with people calling him weird. I've said it a few times myself. People generalizing... that's a different story.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am 15 and I do appreciate everything he's done for foss... but that doesn't change the fact that he's REALLY weird!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm 26. I consider Stallman to be a bit of a weird guy. But I love what he stands for, and love the fact that he fights for what he believes in.

Beans

Weird is good. Weird people with radical ideas and the drive to make them happen deserve respect.

Beans

can't he be a little on the creepy side and have done good things, as well? what's up with the either/or?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I may be part of these young people you refer to, but I give him plenty respect for what he has done on behalf of the FOSS movement. However, he is pretty flipping weird, but in a way I see him no stranger than most people. There is no denying his paranoia for being tracked is a bit weird, the Free Software Song which he wrote sounds rather cultist, and his position of proprietary/copy-righted stuff is taken to a level equal to religion. His appearance doesn't help him any either . . .

Nevertheless, I consider a lot of people weird for their apathy in concerns to practically all topics. This man has a passion, and he is standing up for it, good for him! It's weird that he does this, but that's certainly not a bad thing! Indeed, it's a good quality of him to actually care about something, where most people could care less. IMHO, being passionate about something is much more valuable than being apathetic towards a lot of things.
    Last edited by Superkoop; June 12th, 2009 at 04:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't respect him and I probably never will. He came out with free Unix clone tools that Linus got to use. That's about all I'm gonna give him credit for.
    Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility! -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast