Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shall I upgrade?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Shall I upgrade?

I am still on Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS and at the moment I am not getting a reason to upgrade. But since two versions are out I am wondering if I am missing something. Doing a fresh install is a real pain. Last time when I moved to Ubuntu from Daryna (Linux Mint) I had real trouble in configuring my sound card. I don't want to re-invent that wheel again...so is Intrepid Ibex or Jaunty Jackalope worthy upgrades or am better off with Hardy...
    Last edited by amitabhishek; June 10th, 2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typo
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.

Beans

Re: Shall I upgrade?

if you are happy with hardy, stick with it. or, wait a few months for the next LTS in october.

i always view LTS as 'mainstream' and the 6 month releases as 'for people that like reinventing the wheel'

(i will mention that the boot time improvement with 9.04 is noticeable, and the new notification look is nice... only thing i have noticed since 8.04, to be honest.)
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by amitabhishek View Post
    ~ I am not getting a reason to upgrade. ~
    So don't upgrade. Simples.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04, and found considerable improvements, in speed and compatibility with my hardware, media player, and my Windows network. However, I did lose all my config of 8.04, and programs, as I did a clean install.

One bit of advice I would give is not to make the same mistake as I did. I first tried moving my 8.04 /home dir to another partition, then taking a partimage of 8.04, clearing the / partition, and installing 9.04, with it point to the 8.04 /home dir. This was a huge mistake. I never deleted the program config files from 8.04, which caused serious problems in 9.04. Nothing was right. I ended up doing another install of 9.04.

Also, if you install 9.04, make sure to point to your existing swap partition. I forgot to, and ended up with two. Nothing major, but just more partitioning and editing.

Overall, if your happy with 8.04, and it works well for you, stay with it. It wasn't for me, and thats why I upgraded.

...or, wait a few months for the next LTS in october.
    If you decided to stick with Hardy now, definately do upgrade to the next LTS.
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Didn't make much of difference for me. But my laptop is 9 years old. I didn't upgrade however. I did a fresh re-install. Also ran the live CD of fedora 11 last night. Feels the same just blue. Sticking with xubuntu for now since both are blue. lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

one thing to bare in mind is that each new ubuntu version improves hardware support. what used to be a pain to set up may now be recognised and configured automatically.

i recommend that you try booting a live cd of the new version. if everything works automatically on the live cd, then you could upgrade.

also if you have made lots of tweaks to get sound working, then they may interfere with the upgrade process. a clean install may be best.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Dave View Post
    One bit of advice I would give is not to make the same mistake as I did. I first tried moving my 8.04 /home dir to another partition, then taking a partimage of 8.04, clearing the / partition, and installing 9.04, with it point to the 8.04 /home dir. This was a huge mistake. I never deleted the program config files from 8.04, which caused serious problems in 9.04. Nothing was right. I ended up doing another install of 9.04.
    You can also just delete all the dot files inside your home dir, from the command line if need be. If no configs are found, the programs just generate new ones. Would've saved you a reinstall.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You will find that doing a straight upgrade will break things. You are always better off to backup everything you need and do a clean install. I've heard tonnes of horror stories about upgrades going wrong or the system being sluggish afterwards.

Beans

Wait, did you say next LTS in October? I though it would be next April.
    TWIBS: This Week in BS:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TWIBS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    You can also just delete all the dot files inside your home dir, from the command line if need be. If no configs are found, the programs just generate new ones. Would've saved you a reinstall.
    I realise that now, and in any case I wanted to keep them should I need to revert back to 8.04. Doesn't really matter anymore, their not archived and stored with my 8.04 image Hindsight is a terrible thing
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast