Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: overpowered

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: overpowered

Quote Originally Posted by piousp View Post
    If it bothers you, you can "donate" processing power to CERN o SETI with boinc
    I did that and configured it wrong. As soon as the program started all four cores of the cpu maxed out to 100%! the temp shot up, my fans kicked in and sounded like a jet was in my room. It took a while for me to get it set up right. Needless to say, lesson learned.
    AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2 GHz Asus M3N78-VM 4GB DDR2 32" HDTV montior
    Multi-boot Win7, Ubuntu 9.10, Kubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, you cant help it really. I find it surprising that I can get reasonbly powered machines for about 400 dollars nowadays. I think all the advances in technology has allowed us to produce the components using cheaper and more cost effective methods.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Why do people "need" to buy a BMW or a Corvette--when a 2000 Honda Civic will do them just fine?

A similar perspective. The only difference being-speed limits don't double every 2 years.
    The speed limits don't grow but the traffic jams do as everyone gets convinced by mass media that they absolutely must have their own car.

Personally I spent quite a lot of money on my computer two years ago and after using Ubuntu on it all this time I arrived at a conclusion that that money was wasted - should have bought some cheaper stuff and used the excess money on something else. Books maybe...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars on the highest settings (at a very high resolution, too.)

I once borrowed a copy of Crysis, and it ran on medium-high settings under WINE. Very pretty. However, Crysis is incredibly boring, so I decided not to buy a copy.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

My CPU is more powerful than it needs to be. The only reason I upgraded to an E8400 on my desktop was for VT and 45nm (low power).
    I do compile a quite a bit too so I guess the speed is not completely wasted either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by evermooingcow View Post
    My CPU is more powerful than it needs to be. The only reason I upgraded to an E8400 on my desktop was for VT and 45nm (low power).
    I do compile a quite a bit too so I guess the speed is not completely wasted either.
    I always get a chuckle when i see your username.
    cheers

Beans

While on this topic, I get my OCZ summit drive on Friday. I wish I had the money to get the 120GB model. I don't need that much space for OS/apps, but it has amazing write times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227451

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456