Thread: Need help getting bluray playing - any takers?

Beans

Need help getting bluray playing - any takers?

Hi all,

I've just spent the best part of a day trying to get bluray video working on my system. I didn't expect this to be easy but I'm really bashing my head against a wall. I've spent a lot of time reading the forums on doom9 and have understood most, but not quite enough, of what I'm supposed to do.

I'd be very keen to get this working and don't want to hear lots of stories about why I shouldn't be using bluray, or why I should boycott it - there's no other way of seeing these movies in 1080p so I'm keen to keep trying.

Anyway, I have managed to get DumpHD installed OK and it complains that I don't have the necessary keys. Sooo, I installed aacskeys (took a lot of attempts but fairly easy) and get the error message The given Host Certficate / Private Key has been revoked by your drive. If I understand correctly, this means I need to use dumpvid but this seems to be available in windows only and require a bluray player to run so it can intercept the key. I don't see how I can make this work in linux.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would have asked this on the doom9 forums but they seem fairly unfriendly so I thought I'd try here first. Looking forward to any help that can be offered.

Beans

Re: Need help getting bluray playing - any takers?

Beans

Not very helpful - I specifically gave reasons why I didn't want that sort of response.

Beans

I realize that. It's not there for you.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Using Jaunty I opened Bluray vid in movie player and it works perfectly.
    I just installed the normal codecs restricted and free.
    caver1

Beans

I've got to say I'm a bit sceptical about that one. Are you sure it actually had any proper DRM on it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you had a look at this RestrictedFormats_BluRayAndHDDVD howto?

Beans

Yep,

and I've followed it and it doesn't help. The problems I run into are those I describe at the start of this thread.

Beans

Do you know how you can use Wine to run the Dumpvid program? That is what I think you need to accomplish.

I think it might be easier said than done though, as I have no experience with Wine and I was unable to run Dumpvid as I had trouble telling it the location of my optical drive.

If anyone can help?

It is a Windows program so the instructions tell you to add the drive letter to the command line (D, E, etc.) so that Dumpvid knows where to "hammer". I don't know how to do this from Wine for Mythbuntu?

Gizmonty, let us know if you make any progress...