Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone use windowmaker?

Beans
    Hidden!

anyone use windowmaker?

gnome was giving me trouble earlier today so i changed my session to windowmaker and i was impressed at how quick it is. i used OpenStep back at a previous internship and felt right at home in WM, and being the dork that i am, i even changed the logo in the top right to the NeXT logo. i never even heard more than a slight hum come out of my laptop while running it, you couldnt even really tell it was on, as opposed to the hum the fans give while running gnome with no applications running.

all applications came up incredibly fast, and were very responsive. it really is a great window manager, especially for low-memory machines, but ive been trying gnome out for a while and im starting to like it a lot.

so who runs windowmaker around here? i would have made it a poll, but i think we are polled out around here and its kind of just a yes or no, or an "ive tried it"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: anyone use windowmaker?

WindowMaker/GNUstep guy myself... a look at the gallery confirms it.

-- UDSF | Tango Desktop Project --

-- openSUSE 11.3 / Ubuntu 10.04 --

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

WMaker all the way, baby...

I use Gnome sometimes when I need to do USB things (MP3 player songs need changing, etc). I know I could mount it using the command line, etc but just takes too much brain power to sort out. Rest of the time: WMaker...

Slick, has some nice themes, and programs run seriously fast (sometimes 3d games etc almost seem like a different PC in comparison!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like window maker too... I think there is a way to even put gnome and WM together in a nearly seemless way... I did by accident, don't ask how. Back in 2000. Have you considers Enlightenment? That is another great option... thats what linux is all about. Choice.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Windowmaker user all the way here.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Hidden!

i've tried it a couple of times. i don't like those stupid icons (you know, the ones that look like something on buck rogers' underwear), but otherwise. it seems pretty good. i prefer openbox, myself. both open immediately and, unlike fluxbox, that;s a big plus.

Beans
    Hidden!

im going to start using it more often i think, now that i know others are out there using it on this board.

Beans

I've been looking at it for a while and read an interesting article on it somewhere. I recently got an old laptop that I've tried with Ubuntu server install and openbox. Maybe I'll put Window Maker on it as well and finally try it out.

Some questions: Do I need the packages menu and pypanel? I guess not pypanel but what about menu? Is there some kind of right-click pulldown like in openbox?

Edit: The article was printed in issue #9 of TUX magazine.
    Last edited by graabein; January 17th, 2006 at 09:29 AM.

Beans

Well I've installed and setup Window Maker pretty nicely but I just can't figure out how to resize icon images. My firefox and azureus icons are way too big for the boxes. Any takers?

I'm also looking into different file managers. I've tried mc and Xfe but I'm not convinced. Does ROX filer screw up the desktop? I want to keep it panel free and no "My Computer" sort of icons.

Lastly I'm trying to install different dockapps. I found a couple in the repos but they were not quite right. I want a good lookin clock/calendar and something for mounting devices and maybe something for network speeds... Maybe I should take a look at some code and see if I can make my own.

Nah, off to bed. Nite!

Beans

I use Xfe on my laptop, the lightweight wm's kick ass. They are so usefull on misson critical systems where functionality and speed is the primary need.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast