Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    1

    Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    I am totally new to ubuntu and I bought a CD on ebay with Edgy EFT over a year ago.
    Anyway, I have a Cube 450mhz and I installed it and it's very cool. I am trying to see if it's faster than the Mac OSX 10.4 that I had running.

    My version now is Ubuntu 6.10.

    My question is, what is the fastest version I can run on this Cube? I know that sometimes a newer OS will have more bells and whistles but requires more horsepower. I want to get the best performance out of this Cube and maybe install it on my kids' iMac G4s since the OSX 10.5 is very slow for them when accessing the web (lots of flash).

    Any advice would be appreciated,

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    10,543

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    6.10 is old and no longer supported. you can try a newer version:
    http://www.xubuntu.org/get#jaunty

    but with 450mhz don't expect speed. how much ram do you have?
    ram is the important part in linux.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    Bear in mind a few things:

    1. As far as most Linux distros are concerned, PPC is a red-headed stepchild;

    2. Apple PPC hardware support is spotty. Some things work perfectly, but other things have only limited support (video and audio both come to mind, along with wireless, etc.)

    3. That machine is fairly low-end, so ideally you should be running XFCE on it as your window manager.

    4. I know this is an *Ubuntu* forum, but I would suggest taking a look at either Debian or possibly Fedora. I doubt anything else will run very well on such an old system, if it supports it at all.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Beans
    8
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    kerry_s, I wouldn't be too discouraged about giving Jaunty a try on your cube. I just finished upgrading a similar machine (PPC G4-digital audio; 466mhz and about 500 megs of ram.) I see no performance drop from the older version (8.04,I think) and everything works as well as can be expected. I'm not expecting things like compiz and 3d rendering to work. The real snag is video, at least in my case. Setting the xorg.conf file correctly is, as far as I can tell, the only way to get the resolution correct. It defaults to like 640x800. And there is almost no entries in the xorg.conf file that is installed with jaunty; the system is supposed to sense what your monitor needs and do the setting. Doesn't work with PPCs. Fortunately, had an old copy of my xorg.conf file and could copy it into the new version. Worked just fine, but I don't no how I would have ever got the setting right without it as there is not a lot of support for this -- at least support that I could understand. So if your upgrading from an earlier version of Ubuntu PPC and your video resolution is right, save a copy where it won't get overwritten. It will save you hours of grief.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    10,543

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    Quote Originally Posted by roeghar View Post
    kerry_s, I wouldn't be too discouraged about giving Jaunty a try on your cube. I just finished upgrading a similar machine (PPC G4-digital audio; 466mhz and about 500 megs of ram.) I see no performance drop from the older version (8.04,I think) and everything works as well as can be expected. I'm not expecting things like compiz and 3d rendering to work. The real snag is video, at least in my case. Setting the xorg.conf file correctly is, as far as I can tell, the only way to get the resolution correct. It defaults to like 640x800. And there is almost no entries in the xorg.conf file that is installed with jaunty; the system is supposed to sense what your monitor needs and do the setting. Doesn't work with PPCs. Fortunately, had an old copy of my xorg.conf file and could copy it into the new version. Worked just fine, but I don't no how I would have ever got the setting right without it as there is not a lot of support for this -- at least support that I could understand. So if your upgrading from an earlier version of Ubuntu PPC and your video resolution is right, save a copy where it won't get overwritten. It will save you hours of grief.
    i would never buy/own a apple product. just my choice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Beans
    8
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    kerry_s, Sorry the message was actually meant for teknokrat, and I was just trying to be helpful. But, kerry_s, as far as your opinion about apple computers, who gives a rip!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    10,543

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    Quote Originally Posted by roeghar View Post
    kerry_s, Sorry the message was actually meant for teknokrat, and I was just trying to be helpful. But, kerry_s, as far as your opinion about apple computers, who gives a rip!
    i'm just saying, it's no big deal, don't get your panties in a bunch.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    It's just unhelpful and trollish to come into the Apple section and post a random sentence about how you dislike Macs....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    10,543

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    Quote Originally Posted by evilempire View Post
    It's just unhelpful and trollish to come into the Apple section and post a random sentence about how you dislike Macs....
    who said anything about disliking macs? i like them, i just won't buy or own any apple product for myself. it's a choice i made from my experience dealing with them, they pissed me off that much. i still work on them regularly, there about 60% of the computers i work on upgrading hardware, converting to linux, general repairs, etc...

    don't take it wrong guys, i'm not trying to start a fight. i just don't support that company with my money.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Beans
    7,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Cube - 450Mhz, What's the best Version to install?

    OK... let's just get back on topic... I think that the reply was a result of a mistake on a quote, let's just move on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •