Thread: Changing Appereance preferences from icon,least without dialog (impaired user)

Beans

Changing Appereance preferences from icon,least without dialog (impaired user)

I want to have a huge icon a visually impaired user can use to change to accessibility themes, without having to navigate the system->preferences->appearance, which is way to small for him to see, at any rate.

If there is no direct way to do this, I have some programming experience, so if someone could give me a program capable of changing the theme, I could compile it rote and link it up to the icon.

Thanks a bunch!

I was told my last post was unclear, so I'll try again.
    Last edited by k_squired; June 6th, 2009 at 07:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Changing Appereance preferences from icon,least without dialog (impaired user)

right click on appearance, then select 'add launcher to desktop'. then right click on desktop 'appearance' icon and select 'stretch icon' and make it as big as you want...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Changing Appereance preferences from icon,least without dialog (impaired user)

I don't know if this is what you want but from what I have understood, you need the Appearance preferences to be visible for him (visually impaired user?) right?

This is just a suggestion/s:

1. He can right-click the Desktop directly then click on Change Desktop Background then click on Themes tab. (When you click on Change Desktop Background the Appearance preferences would show up.) As you can see, Background and Themes sits next to each other.

2. Or, he can use the Orca Screen Reader and Magnifier ("Present on-screen information as speech or braille, or magnify the screen" ). You just have to make this link for him the first time. Click on Applications > Universal Access > right-click Orca Screen Reader and Magnifier then select either Add this launcher to panel or Add this launcher to Desktop. You have to setup this application for him the first time of its use. Just follow instructions onscreen.

If you can't find it at Applications, try looking it up at Systems > Preferences > Main Menu then click on Universal Access then tick on Orca Screen Reader and Magnifier then close.

I hope this helps.

Beans

I really appreciate the efforts, and they may yet lead me to further places, but right now, let me please be more specific. He also has muscle coordination among other issues which make this kind of difficult: hence, my plan was to keep it simple: one huge icon to turn on an accessibility theme, (like white text on black background, someone suggested some accessibility-related packages in an earlier post, I need to try em') and another huge icon, which is actually a large-font openoffice template.

I mean, he's beyond the threshold of legally blind in more ways than one. I will probably have to still save for him, but this will at least let him start up on his own. Enlarging the save dialog would be sweet too, if anyone knows off the top of their heads - maybe themes do it.

And while I should probably just look this up on my own, does anyone know anything about making coustum themes?

And thanks again.
    Last edited by k_squired; June 6th, 2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: wording correction