Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 3935

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Acer Aspire 3935

I'm contemplating a purchase of either the new Acer Aspire 3810T or the Acer Aspire 3935, but I can't seem to find a single instance of anyone running Ubuntu on the 3935. If anyone has any experience doing so, I'd love to hear it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Acer Aspire 3935

Hi,

I can't help you with the Acer Aspire 3935, but here is some compiled information from different ubuntuforums.org threads:

Installation instructions:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...98&postcount=1

The currently reported battery life is 8 hours. To achieve this, use a standard Jaunty distribution.

Outstanding bug: ata2 exception EMask delays/prevents booting 9.04 & 8.10:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/379831

It's also been reported that the laptop will try to resume from suspend but power off instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks and Water View Post
    I'm contemplating a purchase of either the new Acer Aspire 3810T or the Acer Aspire 3935, but I can't seem to find a single instance of anyone running Ubuntu on the 3935. If anyone has any experience doing so, I'd love to hear it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I am runnning Kubuntu 9.04 on an Aspire 3935. Most things work out of the box but there are some serious flaws still present:

• The display brightness cannot be adjusted. Neither using the Fn key combination nor using ACPI. It usually is at full brightness (which is bad for battery time) but right now it is at low brightness - I don't know why or how to change it. There are some entries in /proc/acpi/video but you cannot adjust the brightness (actually, you can write 10, 20, ..., 100 to /proc/acpi/video/brightness and the file "remembers" it but nothing gets adjusted).
    • The fan is running awfully often although it only blows cold air. /proc/acpi/fan is empty
    • Another problem is the touchpad: It is a Synaptics touchpad with the latest firmware. This firmware seems not to be fully supported by the X.org driver. I posted a workaround for multitap on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=969993
    • The special keys for media playback and volume control work out of the box. Also, the touch keys above the keyboard (for mute, vol up and down, wireless and bluetooth on/off) work out of the box. The sleep button doesn't work (I allocated the Power key for that now), so doesn't the funny looking button on Fn+F2 (don't know what it is). I have not yet tested the VGA output but when I press Fn+F6, the display goes out so I guess it has something to do with it.

As mentioned above. I haven't tested the VGA output yet or the SD card reader. Also, I had no use for the cam and so did not test it either.

I would be really happy to hear a solution for the brightness and the fan problems. I guess it is just some adjustment in the corresponding ACPI drivers.

Best regards,
    Freddy
    Last edited by fathomssen; June 7th, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Beans

I also have the Acer Aspire 3935. I have installed Linux Mint, almost everything working right out of the box.

Same issues as fathomssen of course.

Followed fathomssen 's multitap advice ( thank you, was missing that support )

Also screen brightness shows that the keys are registering but nothing is changing on the screen.

I can confirm that the webcam is working as well as the bluetooth.

Regards

Beans

Managed to fix the brightness issue by updating the kernel ( found this in another thread )
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=39

After updating i had an issue with the sound not working ( im using linux mint, don't know if updating the kernel will also break the sound but if it does, the link is below to fix it)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=62

Hope it helps

Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, I am running a 2.6.31-rc1-gitX kernel and still have the brightness issues. Could you please post your kernel config?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fathomssen View Post
    Hmm, I am running a 2.6.31-rc1-gitX kernel and still have the brightness issues. Could you please post your kernel config?
    /cat/proc/version gives me ;

Code:
    Linux version 2.6.30-020630-generic (root@zinc) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #020630 SMP Wed Jun 10 09:45:40 UTC 2009
    Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro

Could you please do

Code:
    cat /boot/config-`uname -r`
    and post the result (or whereever your kernel config file resides)?

Beans
    Distro

*bump* Could you please post your kernel config. I guess, I'm just missing a configuration parameter in the kernel...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Acer Aspire One AOA-150-1864 with the Dell mini-wlan 1390 card

Report:

Working fine triple-booting XP Professional SP3, Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty(full version), Puppy Linux 4.2.1, and with five more logical partitions for five more *nix distros!

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast