Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linus Torvalds: "Please, just tell people to use KDE."

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Linus Torvalds: "Please, just tell people to use KDE."

On the one hand I have a lot of respect for Linus, but on the other I can't help but think what a hypocrite he comes off as being.

I use Gnome and not KDE because I find Gnome's approach to be cleaner and nicer in a way that evokes much of the simple elegance of Mac OS Classic's Finder, and Mac OS X's Aqua desktop. KDE, on the other hand, feels like the Windows desktop (all glitz and candy-coated shiny buttons) on steroids.

Maybe that works for some people or appeals to their aesthetic sensibilities, but it sure doesn't appeal to me.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    On the one hand I have a lot of respect for Linus, but on the other I can't help but think what a hypocrite he comes off as being.

I use Gnome and not KDE because I find Gnome's approach to be cleaner and nicer in a way that evokes much of the simple elegance of Mac OS Classic's Finder, and Mac OS X's Aqua desktop. KDE, on the other hand, feels like the Windows desktop (all glitz and candy-coated shiny buttons) on steroids.

Maybe that works for some people or appeals to their aesthetic sensibilities, but it sure doesn't appeal to me.

Not convinced, Both kde and Gnome can be made to look like Windows or Mac (kde4 has a mac-bar like finder)

Beans

I experience KDE 3.5.10 which is part of Debian Lenny to be very robust. I like it, personally. Never use Gnome nowadays.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mancha View Post
    Not convinced, Both kde and Gnome can be made to look like Windows or Mac (kde4 has a mac-bar like finder)
    yes both can be made to look like mac, but kde will always crash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    yes both can be made to look like mac, but kde will always crash.
    Yes if you're incompetent user....
    I've used KDE since 4.0 and seen it crash maybe twice. And the reason for crashing was soon discovered and repaired.
    So I have no idea how would KDE just keep crashing.

I would add that one thing that is bad in KDE4 series is that plasma is one processs.
    That's what most people mean by KDE crashing. KDE as whole doesn't crash only plasma crashes. And KDE devs are aware of this and will try to find a fast solution to it.
    The best would offcourse be that every "plasmoid" would be it's own process.

Beans
    Hidden!

My opinion

GNOME is light weight, for what it can do, and is much more original, stabler, and easy to use then KDE.

KDE is more heavier, and a bigger toll on older hardware. It resembles Windows too much, and it's very unstable. The taskbar is always cluttered with huge icons, and you can hardly tell what's going on. Also, everything where you'd expect it to be, is not. Took me a half an hour just to find the package manager.

I honestly can't see why people like it, if it's because of the transparency effects, and the fact that it looks like Windows... might as well just jump on the bandwagon and use Windows 7. It has transparency, animations, the over sized taskbar with huge icons and it IS Windows.

Opinion over
    Last edited by Tipped OuT; June 7th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Primož Papič View Post
    Yes if you're incompetent user....
    I've used KDE since 4.0 and seen it crash maybe twice. And the reason for crashing was soon discovered and repaired.
    So I have no idea how would KDE just keep crashing.

I would add that one thing that is bad in KDE4 series is that plasma is one processs.
    That's what most people mean by KDE crashing. KDE as whole doesn't crash only plasma crashes. And KDE devs are aware of this and will try to find a fast solution to it.
    The best would offcourse be that every "plasmoid" would be it's own process.
    How is that being an incompetent user?

I've done a fresh install of KDE every time. How does that make one an incompetent user if the DE in unstable?

BTW - there is no apostrophe in the possessive form of "it."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Use what you like, Linus does.
    I like Gnome or XFCE myself. KDE is sweet and all, but damn its heavy.

Oh did I also mention I'm a lazy git who is not going to learn where all the stuff is in the KDE menu's unless I'm forced? I'm so damn lazy, I'm the kind of guy who has some Christmas Dinner leftovers left in my fridge on the 4th of July (btw, no, thats not potato salad, for gods sakes DON'T OPEN THE CONTAINER!!!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have gnome on my main computer and kde on my eeepc. Why? Because they are the default. Customisation is all very well, but in the last two years I have reinstalled ubuntu maybe 6 times on my main computer. I just don't want too much hassle in altering everything.... I just have a list of software to download (infact I am thinking of creating a custom disk of my install).

IMHO gnome is better 'out of the box'... simple and intuitive, what's wrong with that? I expect linus spends his time finding bright shiney applets and new wallpaper.
    Dual Bt:XP/Karmic:dell Inspiron 1520(32bit):Intel Core 2 Duo T7250(2.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache):NVIDIA GeForce8600M GT 256MB:3GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz:160GB SATA5400RPM:Widescrn(1680x1050):8x CD/DVD burner(DVD+/-RW)Dble Layer Support:Wireless-Intel 4965AGN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    How is that being an incompetent user?

I've done a fresh install of KDE every time. How does that make one an incompetent user if the DE in unstable?

BTW - there is no apostrophe in the possessive form of "it."
    How could I miss that .

Anyway I really don't know what you, or any other for that matter, are doing with KDE,
    but it works fine for me.
    I might be "overzealous" which doesn't happen very often but you were just "flaming".
    Use Gnome or whatever you wish, just don't judge whole DE through your personal experience.
    With that I would be entitled to say that Gnome is not only ugly, but just a mess with settings and that there are not enough options to get it working right.
    But that's just my view. Yours is probably different.
    Use what suits you and don't judge those that don't use it.
    Yeah I know I got carried away with my previous post, and I would like to apologize for that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast