Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: does anyone in the world actually access phpmyadmin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

does anyone in the world actually access phpmyadmin

after four days, numerous threads and endless nights of trying to gain access to phpmyadmin I have come to the conclusion that from a users perspective . . . how can I put this as politely as possible IT SUCKS!

I have installed it six times, had numerous help from others telling me to make sure there is symlinks or make new users within mySQL or reset the password or even just reinstall and make sure certain include files exist in etc/int.d

well I've had it! Sorry this is my rant, I studied software development at uni and have come to the conclusion that it should work straight out of the box not take a ridiculous amount of time to set it up, I have wasted more time than I can afford

Dont use this rubbish, i'll just have to try something else
    Smile . . there's always tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: does anyone in the world actually access phpmyadmin

I use it every day from six different machines and have never had a single problem. Really haven't a clue why it's giving you such a hard time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you download it from the website of from the Ubuntu repositories?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
    That ensures that it is correctly set up too. With the added advantage of updating automatically.
    Dell Vostro 1500: Intel T7250, 4GB RAM (800MHz), nVidia 8600M GT, Intel 3945AGB Pro Wireless.
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Windows 7 dual boot (damn games!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kapi View Post
    I have installed it six times, had numerous help from others telling me to make sure there is symlinks or make new users within mySQL or reset the password or even just reinstall and make sure certain include files exist in etc/int.d
    What I usually do is the following :

1) Remove /var/www/phpmyadmin symlink
    2) Create directory /var/www/phpmyadmin directory
    3) Mount it when I need it, as following :
    Code:
    sudo mount --bind /usr/share/phpmyadmin /var/www/phpmyadmin
    4) open the url with the php defined, e.g. :
    http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index.php
    5) After usage :
    Code:
    sudo umount /var/www/phpmyadmin
    It's important to look at the authentication options that exist, and then configure which one you prefer to use.

And there's also a new project which has a similar name as phpmyadmin, but is a much simpler version.
    Can't find it on http://freshmeat.net right now because I don't remember the exact name.

Beans

I ripped my hair out with it as well but when I got it to work it was very useful for me.

I uninstalled it from synaptic and just downloaded it from the site and placed it in the www directory. If I remember rightly the default username was root and the password was just a blank field.

I don't really remember much more then that.

Hope you sort out your problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi again celauran, thanks for all your help. No neither have I. My user name is root and then I enter the mySQL password and nothing happens. In mySQL I can login using the root and password but with new added users it won't let me in. Dont know if thats of any significance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you referring to the issue on some Ubuntu boxes where Firefox insists on downloading the index.php file rather than executing it? Sorry to make assumptions but you didn't state the problem.

Edit: Ignore that - others type faster than me
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hi DDrichardson, no haven't had that it just seems to be that when I log in or try to that I get no response - not even a sorry mate you've got something wrong

Beans

Hi again celauran, thanks for all your help. No neither have I. My user name is root and then I enter the mySQL password and nothing happens. In mySQL I can login using the root and password but with new added users it won't let me in. Dont know if thats of any significance
    I think phpmyadmin and mysql have different passwords

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've never actually logged into phpmyadmin as root. The first thing I do on a new SQL install is set up my local users. If you've set up new MySQL users and aren't able to login with those, even via console, then that is troubling. Are you able to see the added users in mysql.user?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast