Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Quit smoking 12 hours ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Quit smoking 12 hours ago.

You have to read this book. My group of friends all use to smoke and now no one does thanks to Allen Carr.

Pick it up and read it. You'll stop smoking on the last page. Not advertised very much in the U.S., but it's big in the UK.

Check it out.

The Easy Way to Quit Smoking - Allen Carr

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-.../dp/1402718616

Beans

I admit, I have been smoking for around a month now.

I can quit whenever I want, though, just like I did last time.

It's a pattern that I experience, I quit for 2 months, then smoke for 2 months, then quit for 2 months, and so on...

One important thing though, is that I don't feel guilty when I go back to smoking, after not smoking for a long time, even if I did state that "I'll never touch this crap again". I think this is a very important thing to understand.

If you treat quitting smoking as if it's some sort of achievement, this will be your barrier.

It can help, the first time you quit, because you're setting a goal for yourself. But it's also like promising something to yourself, after you've gone past the one week free mark.

This is a big problem for most people. They quit, they set a goal. Their cravings "overpower" them (this is a lie, it's all a choice), and they take a puff, or smoke an entire cigarette. Then, they feel guilty, which is even worse, because they lose self confidence and self esteem - ("****, I totally ******* blew it, ****, I'm such an idiot, I'm a failure", and the likes).

If you take a puff and feel guilty, it's a problem. You shouldn't feel guilty.

I believe this is the difference between me and others who have quit and returned. When I return, I don't feel guilty.

It's very easy to quit... I mean... all you have to do is not smoke. Basically, you don't do anything, since you're not smoking. Get it?
    Last edited by Eisenwinter; September 29th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi all!! im also a smoker yet i can manage somehow not to smoke sometimes.. I suggest try yourself to get busy with your computer and sleep..and sleep, computer again.. then again and again and so on and so forth, all day long and all nyt long!! Curse yourself not to smoke!! Also always take yourself on places where you cant have it. hahaha just try it.. So far i can go 1 week straight without hunger of cigarette smoke.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by khieoz View Post
    Curse yourself not to smoke!!
    See, this is what I'm talking about (the problem).

Curse yourself not to smoke? All that will happen with that is feeling guilty when you eventually do smoke (if you "give up").

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    I admit, I have been smoking for around a month now.

I can quit whenever I want, though, just like I did last time.

It's a pattern that I experience, I quit for 2 months, then smoke for 2 months, then quit for 2 months, and so on...

One important thing though, is that I don't feel guilty when I go back to smoking, after not smoking for a long time, even if I did state that "I'll never touch this crap again". I think this is a very important thing to understand.

If you treat quitting smoking as if it's some sort of achievement, this will be your barrier.

It can help, the first time you quit, because you're setting a goal for yourself. But it's also like promising something to yourself, after you've gone past the one week free mark.

This is a big problem for most people. They quit, they set a goal. Their cravings "overpower" them (this is a lie, it's all a choice), and they take a puff, or smoke an entire cigarette. Then, they feel guilty, which is even worse, because they lose self confidence and self esteem - ("****, I totally ******* blew it, ****, I'm such an idiot, I'm a failure", and the likes).

If you take a puff and feel guilty, it's a problem. You shouldn't feel guilty.

I believe this is the difference between me and others who have quit and returned. When I return, I don't feel guilty.

It's very easy to quit... I mean... all you have to do is not smoke. Basically, you don't do anything, since you're not smoking. Get it?
    +1

I quit smoking a year ago, but with the understanding that sometimes I *will* want to smoke. In the first few months I smoked a few times when going out with my mates, and in the past half a year I've smoked once basically.

When I do smoke, however, I enjoy the hell out of it.

I even got a cigarette carton at home that my buddy from Norway got me, when he was visiting. I didn't throw it out (out of fear i might be tempted to smoke). Instead, I kept it specifically because I might want to smoke sometimes. I've smoked maybe 2 cigarettes out of that carton, I don't even know if they're good anymore

So yeah... what Eisenwinter said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think there'd one thing we can all learn from this thread: Don't start...
    Last edited by NCLI; September 29th, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

tcoffeep Guest

No ****, eh? This is the worst week I've had in awhile. And, trust me, I've had some pretty bad weeks lately.

skotos is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    I think there'd one thing we can all learn from this thread: Don't start...
    Yes. It's that simple.

BTW, some more empowering feedback:

Stopped on Tue,12th May 2009 00:35:00 GMT
    It has been 25 weeks, 0 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes,10 seconds since I quit.
    I have saved € 1110.26 by choosing not to smoke 5621 cigarettes.
    More importantly, I saved 6 weeks, 0 days 22 hours 37 minutes of my life!
    Registered GNU/Linux user: 232677
    Definitely moving to GNU/Linux made me trust Computer Science again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    Hardest 12 hours of my life so far. I have to say though, after the first hour, it doesn't get any worse, just a constant craving for cigarettes that's pretty much non stop. Any one that went through this hell, and started smoking again, is a damn fool. This first day is a nightmare. Why put your self through this hell for nothing? I can safely say I will never smoke another cigarette as long as I live. It's just not worth the trouble.
    the nintendo ds helped me quit, kept my hands busy, good luck to ya

skotos is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    Hardest 12 hours of my life so far. I have to say though, after the first hour, it doesn't get any worse, just a constant craving for cigarettes that's pretty much non stop. Any one that went through this hell, and started smoking again, is a damn fool. This first day is a nightmare. Why put your self through this hell for nothing? I can safely say I will never smoke another cigarette as long as I live. It's just not worth the trouble.
    Hey swoll1980, I hope you are going on and staying away from nicotine! After all these months I am still going to Joel's whyquit.com (and quitsmokingcounter.com):
    I stopped smoking on Tue, 12 May 2009 00:35:00 GMT.
    It has been 26 weeks, 3 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes and 43 seconds since I quit.
    I have saved $ 1173.96 by choosing not to smoke 5944 cigarettes.
    More importantly, I saved 6 weeks, 3 days 9 hours 44 minutes of my life!
    Registered GNU/Linux user: 232677
    Definitely moving to GNU/Linux made me trust Computer Science again.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152