Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choppy Video

Beans

Re: Choppy Video

I'm having the same problem, but it's has only been since my last update-manager-prompted update. Before that, Flash on Jaunty was working fine.

When I play a flash video, top shows xorg taking up 98% of one of my CPUs.

There's got to be an easy fix for this? What was in the last update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, jbraswell. I think this is a flash bug. I'm working on it right now with a Wild Dog in my shop. What system are you using, and what kind of graphics card?

For the rest of you guys, if you reboot your system does flash play well for a little while before becoming choppy? Or is it choppy from the get-go?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Yes, you are correct, it does take a while to start happening after reboot.

I'm on a Wild Dog with the ATI 4830 video card.

Thanks!

Beans

Same problem here. Fresh install of 9.04, nvidia 185 drivers. However, I have found a workaround, if not an optimal one. This problem seems to be flash itself. If you lower the flash quality setting to low the problem goes away in full screen. Loose a bit of quality but it's not that noticeable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, I'm testing on a Wild Dog with ATI graphics too.

What do you mean 'lower the flash quality setting?'

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I have the same exact problem. This seems to be a problem that ALOT of people are having. My problem exists on 3 systems. 1 with ati, one with geforce and one with intel video cards. The problem started for me with the release of 8.04. I can't find a fix that works. I think it has something to do with the way X talks to the flash plugin or vice versa maybe? This only happens with certain video cards. I have a 4th grforce system where everything works fine.
    I've tried alot of "fixes", with no results.

If you ever fix it please share your secret. I'm debating giving up on Ubuntu based distro's all together if I cant fix this soon. It's a thorn that has been in my side for more than a year now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey, guys. Try installing the *actual* 64-bit plugin from Adobe. So far, I'm running it with no freezes.

First run...
    sudo apt-get --purge remove flashplugin-*
    sudo apt-get remove nspluginwrapper

Then, follow the first five instructions here...
    http://nxadm.wordpress.com/2009/04/2...on-ubuntu-904/

Does that work for you?

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Hey, guys. Try installing the *actual* 64-bit plugin from Adobe. So far, I'm running it with no freezes.

First run...
    sudo apt-get --purge remove flashplugin-*
    sudo apt-get remove nspluginwrapper

Then, follow the first five instructions here...
    http://nxadm.wordpress.com/2009/04/2...on-ubuntu-904/

Does that work for you?
    I've installed the 64bit alpha before, it's still incredibly choppy. Flash is fine on my much older notebook with an ATI 64mb dedicated card, but my desktop simply cannot play fullscreen flash.

So is it really Nvidia's problem? Jaunty 64bit, Firefox 3.0.10, medium desktop settings, pulse audio, etc. The difference is that my newer desktop has a 512mb 8800GT card in it.

I simply cannot watch any fullscreen flash videos on my desktop PC. I have to boot Windows.

Edit: Well I give up again, there's no way I'll ever watch Flash videos (reasonably) in Ubuntu. I was planning on buying a netbook with Linux pre-loaded. No way I am now, so I'm getting one with WinXP installed, that way I can do something simple as watch Youtube.
    Last edited by caeroe; June 10th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by caeroe View Post
    I've installed the 64bit alpha before, it's still incredibly choppy. Flash is fine on my much older notebook with an ATI 64mb dedicated card, but my desktop simply cannot play fullscreen flash.

So is it really Nvidia's problem? Jaunty 64bit, Firefox 3.0.10, medium desktop settings, pulse audio, etc. The difference is that my newer desktop has a 512mb 8800GT card in it.

I simply cannot watch any fullscreen flash videos on my desktop PC. I have to boot Windows.

Edit: Well I give up again, there's no way I'll ever watch Flash videos (reasonably) in Ubuntu. I was planning on buying a netbook with Linux pre-loaded. No way I am now, so I'm getting one with WinXP installed, that way I can do something simple as watch Youtube.
    Something like this that is a regression that affects a lot of users usually gets fixed sooner than later.

jdb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    Something like this that is a regression that affects a lot of users usually gets fixed sooner than later.

jdb
    It's been affecting me for over a year now, on both 64 and 32 bit systems, over 3 computers with 3 different GFX cards.
    Last edited by kilgor3; June 10th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast