Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Background noise while using headphones

Beans

Re: Background noise while using headphones

Sounds good.

I've been scouring Google and trying to read up on this. Similar experiences seem to be caused by a bad ground wire (usually associated with either the power outlet or surge protector it is attached to). My problem persist even when not plugged into anything. So I've read it may be due to some bad ground soldering inside the laptop itself? To test this, whether or not the problem is isolated to the 3.5mm jack itself, I went and plugged in to every audio device I could get my hands on and sure enough I can hear the same fuzzy sound with just about everything (it is just WAY easier to hear while using headphones, which is what I use most often).

So I don't know if that means the jack itself is bad or if this is inherent in all Servals? Maybe the jack is just too close to components inside the case and there is interference? I'll wait for you to test some tings out on the Serval obviously, but worse case scenario do you think something like a USB to 3.5mm is plausible? http://www.vpi.us/usb-audio.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm pretty sure a USB device would not have the same problem.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I have the same problem. Well. For me it's a nettop. Acer Revolution. It's constantly (or well. Like every other minute) making these annoying scratching noises. Even if i mute the master channel it goes on. I have no clue what to do. Please help me!

Beans

Hey jvik, why don't you be the guinea pig and buy that USB Adapter

Beans

Bumpity-bump-bump-bump!

Serval back yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just received our Serval back yesterday evening.

I've attached a tar.gz file with screenshots of how mine is set up. No hiss.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Cool Re: Background noise while using headphones

Thanks for checking. I mimicked all the settings from your screenshots, no dice. Still hear it. Am I to assume this means some sort of hardware defect.

If yes, the USB Audio solution I am having difficulty with. I purchased a "Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS" (seen here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ ). It is supposed to be plug and play (even for Linux) but it isn't. Not sure where to go in terms of settings to get it going...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What are you listening to, exactly?

Do you get the background noise when you go to System > Prefs > Sound and click the "Test" button?

What is the output of...
    cat /proc/asound/version
    ...?

I think you have to set the set the various dropdowns in System > Prefs > Sound to your USB device. If that doesn't work, I can get a USB headset in here to test with in a day or two.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

What are you listening to, exactly?
    >> FLAC files via Rythmbox and YouTube videos via Firefox (with no third party plugins to handle flash video player). To clarify, the sound continues to come out of the laptop speakers.

Do you get the background noise when you go to System > Prefs > Sound and click the "Test" button?
    >> I have the exact settings as the picture you sent last post. So on autodetect all the tests work on my laptop speakers. If I use the dropdown to go through my other options (see attached video - can't print screen while using dropdown menu?) I can hear the test on my second selection, you will see an error on the first selection and this occurs for the other two dropdowns as well. So on the selection that I CAN hear the test I can also get audio through my headphones (WITHOUT the crackle noise!, but ONLY through Rythmbox, YouTube still emits through front laptop speakers?

What is the output of...
    cat /proc/asound/version
    ...?
    >> "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3."

So a few things. One, am I going to have to manually mute my Master volume then chance my sound playback device under Sound preferences for three separate dropdown menus EVERY single time I want to use my headphones? And repeat the process to go back to laptop speakers? And second, this essentially disables my Keyboard Shortcuts to control the volume since they are set to control Master on the "autodetect" (whatever that was). And we still don't have the flash video sound going yet?

Thanks, I await your reply. Please take solace in the fact that the support I have received in this forum will make me a repeat customer for life.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, 982000971.

I started learning Ubuntu by buying a Pangolin and have been reading this forum as a self-teaching exercise.

I have read all your posts and feel sorry that you are having such a problem with noise.

One thing I am curious about: you haven't mentioned what kinds or what brands of ear phones you have tried. I am guessing that being a student you could borrow phones from some of your buddies just to find out if they made a difference.

Good luck to you and TA in working this out.

Eldera

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast