Thread: Cross-platform & portable email client?

Beans

Question Cross-platform & portable email client?

Hi,

I've already tried the portable version of thunderbird, but when I view it on windows the paths are now wrong - I had to re-adjust it to make it viewable. But having too many accounts makes it unusable.

I wanted to be able to use my thumbdrive to take all my downloaded emails and be able to use linux & windows as I work on both platforms and I travel a lot.

Anyone found a solution ?

Thanks for reading,
    Elijah

Beans

Re: Cross-platform & portable email client?

Zimbra desktop is cross-platform and it works by downloading all messages to a local message directory, but I'm not sure if you can put that message store to a separate thumb drive.

Beans

thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Anyone else to suggest something?

I've tried out java apps and this iscribe thing but never seemed to work for me, I just want to be able to move about both windows and linux while storing all my mails in my usb drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've used Thunderbird for several years, and have a separate "Local Folders" on another drive, it can certainly be accessed from XP, Kubuntu and Mepis.

Just create the Local Folders directory where-ever you want it, and then point each instance of Thunderbird to it.

It's simple enough to tell Tbird to create a folder for important stuff, and either copy or move those important bits-and-pieces there before exiting.
    "To give perfect expression to the One, the Infinite, through the harmony of the many; to the One, the Love, through the sacrifice of self, is the object alike of our individual life and our society."
    Rabindranath Tagore

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aged hippy View Post
    I've used Thunderbird for several years, and have a separate "Local Folders" on another drive, it can certainly be accessed from XP, Kubuntu and Mepis.

Just create the Local Folders directory where-ever you want it, and then point each instance of Thunderbird to it.

It's simple enough to tell Tbird to create a folder for important stuff, and either copy or move those important bits-and-pieces there before exiting.
    That should work for few accounts, but I have about 6-8 accounts to manage. So everytime I open up portable thunderbird using the usb drive I had to re-map all the paths.