Thread: virtualbox mouse capture dies on 9.04 64.

Beans

virtualbox mouse capture dies on 9.04 64.

Hi all new user (first day ubuntu) here. love everything but I wanted to use virtual box to keep my centos (redhat) very basic skills up to date. anyway I am running 9.04 64 bit version and took the virtualbox and virtualbox guest additions packages from the apt repo. I tested my centos 5.3 disk then fired it up and itstalled it with no issues. I gave it almost a gig of memory. installed the guest additions and mouse was working seamlessly. unfortunately after bout 5 minutes the mouse simply does not work at all any more in centos. I tried rebooting the vm multiple times, and its always the same. works for bout 5 minutes then stops. also I reinstalled centos into virtual box a second time. any guidance would be greatly appreciated. the strange thing is each time I bring the vm up it works fine for a few minutes...I have checked it bout 10 times total. btw virtual box worked fine on fedora 10 running centos 5.3 installed from the same media.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: virtualbox mouse capture dies on 9.04 64.

does the right-Ctrl button bring it back?
    DELL XPS 1530 - C2D T7250 2GHz - 4GB RAM - Nvidia 8400M GS - WD 160GB HDD
    Ubuntu 10.10 32bit

Beans

no, I can toggle it back and forth (green to grey) and hovering the mouse over desktop items shades them but I cannot capture. it happened again just tested. only this time it never captured where before it did for like 5 minutes. I guess I am dropping virtualbox and trying vmware though I hated their web interface.

Beans

suggestions apart from dumping virtual box?

Beans

k guess I will read up on qemu and then if that does not work I am back to being a fedora user since all visualization stuff worked there. would be a shame as since they took away the root login its basically a ubuntu copy now anyway but I do need to run multiple machines hassle free

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

That sounds odd. Mouse integration is working for me.

Host Fedora 11
    Guests - all, including Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, and 9.10 (alpha).

Did you install the VirtualBox Additions in the guest ? Are you on the latest version of virtualbox (from the Sun site) and are your guests up to date ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    That sounds odd. Mouse integration is working for me.

Host Fedora 11
    Guests - all, including Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, and 9.10 (alpha).

Did you install the VirtualBox Additions in the guest ? Are you on the latest version of virtualbox (from the Sun site) and are your guests up to date ?
    yes I took the additions, I also did a complete reinstall of ubuntu and this time took the vbox from sun's site (the "proprietary" one this time) and after bout a half hour working on centos 5.3 and after which was all yum updated, it just froze again. after working for at least a half hour. btw after knocking down ubuntu I went back to fedroa (this time v 11) and have to say I could not stick with it. oh my system just stopped booting yesterday for no reason I could see (black screen not even giving the opportunity to go to single mode) so I am definitely away from that crap system for good. now I just need to understand what other options ubuntu offers (xen qemu etc) cause I really don't understand that stuff. oh well time to start reading. hey don't mind if I call the product from now on virtuallox. thats about what it is good for as far as I'm concerned.

Beans

well I got kvm working with the graphical virt-manager, I had to log into the desktop as root to get that working no sudo virt-manager or su - virtmanager would allow the machine to be networked. bye bye fedora bye bye virtualbox. oh the install of the centos guest is considerably faster on kvm then on virtualbox, that I noticed immediately.