Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittorent Clients 'Benchmark'

Beans
    Hidden!

Bittorent Clients 'Benchmark'

I was deciding on which bittorrent client I should use, so I was checking the resources they use and what not to decide which one to use. Thought I'd write everything for everyone else to read too.

The system I did my tests on:
    Ubuntu 9.04 (running KDE 4.2.3 DE)
    AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.2 Ghz)
    1.5 GB DDR

You'll get the same results in GNOME, only it'll be more resource intensive and it'll generally be slower.

Bittorrent Clients used: Deluge, Ktorrent, Transmission

RESOURCES WHILE UNUSED (MINIMIZED IN TRAY) [Least resources to most]:
    1. Transmission, 0% CPU, 4 MB MEM, 9 MB Shared MEM
    2. Ktorrent, 0% CPU, 6 MB MEM, 20 MB Shared MEM
    3. Deluge, 1-5% CPU, 19 MB MEM, 23 MB Shared MEM

RESOURCES WHILE DOWNLOADING 5 MOVIES (MINIMIZED IN TRAY) [Least resources to most]:
    1. Transmission, 0-1% CPU, 9 MB MEM, 12 MB Shared MEM
    2. Ktorrent, 6-12% CPU, 16 MB MEM, 26 MB Shared MEM
    3. Deluge, 2-9% CPU, 22 MB MEM, 25 MB Shared MEM

TIME IT TAKES TO START PROGRAM (MEASURED USING MY OWN PERSEPTION) [from fast to slow]:
    1. Transmission
    2. Ktorrent
    3. Deluge

TIME IT TAKES TO SHOW WINDOW FROM TRAY (MEASURED USING MY OWN PERSEPTION) [from fast to slow]:
    1. Transmission
    2. Deluge & Ktorrent [Equal speed]

Conclusion: If looks and maybe features are not important for you and all you want to do is download, then you'll use Transmission. Transmission on KDE responds to anything almost the instant you click, on GNOME it's slightly slower but still the fastest. If you care about extra features and looks you'll have to choose between Ktorrent and Deluge. They both look good, and (imo) if you want good looks, lot's of features and good response time and such, you'll go with Ktorrent.
    Last edited by Pasdar; June 2nd, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Bittorent Clients 'Benchmark'

Ktorrent is just my piece of cake

Beans

Why are you placing more importance on RAM usage than CPU usage? IMO, 8mb of ram is of less consequence than the differences in CPU usage.

Also, the drain on network resources (which I have no idea how to measure) is arguably more important than actual system resources. Other than utorrent in WINE, all the major torrent apps will virtually lock up my router significantly reducing the network performance of every computer in my home.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

'rtorrent' in a 'screen' session on an always on computer that you can SSH to FTW.
    Saying that you "could care less" about something is implying that you DO care about it, regardless of common usage.
    Using it as a way of saying you don't care is simply wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Which versions did you use?

I am asking it because there was a bug at deluge (it is fixed at 1.1.8 ) which causes high CPU usage (Show speed at title bar bug),

Also you are comparing system usages but Transmission is a crap torrent client with NO features.Benchmarking with system usage is a wrong method to determine best torrent client.

Beans

I agree with both statements from geoken and happysmileman.

However, to me features are important, and so there is only one choice, and that is sadly utorrent in WINE.

Off Topic - happysmileman, your sig is absolutely correct and I have always corrected people when they say this. The phrase is "I couldn't care less", those who say "I could care less" are simply moronic and have regurgitated what they have heard incorrectly.</endrant>

Beans

I hate the way ktorrent hogs my system now, it was so much better before KDE4 imo. Now the program is slow and buggy, I use rtorrent when I need now. I get a little more than 12% CPU usage though so it could be a bug or the fact that when I run ktorrent I have gnome and KDE running.
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I only disagree about looks. Transmission is a lot prettier for me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Versions:

Deluge 1.1.7
    Ktorrent 3.2.1
    Transmission 1.61

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    Transmission is a crap torrent client with NO features.
    Why is that? It has per torrent bandwidth usage control and a blocklist. What other features do you need? Bittorrent is about uploading and downloading, which it does very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast