Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: File sharing in ubuntu & windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool File sharing in ubuntu & windows

Guys I've recently formatted my desktop to Vista and I'm presently using a netgear DG834G. On my laptop I'm running Jaunty. Everything required for sharing has been put up on vista but when I go to network in Ubuntu it shows WORKGROUP and it tries to fetch the share list but fails. Is there something that I'm missing here?

Beans
    Distro

Re: File sharing in ubuntu & windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pramathesh View Post
    Guys I've recently formatted my desktop to Vista and I'm presently using a netgear DG834G. On my laptop I'm running Jaunty. Everything required for sharing has been put up on vista but when I go to network in Ubuntu it shows WORKGROUP and it tries to fetch the share list but fails. Is there something that I'm missing here?
    Are u working on net using dhcp???

Beans

well if u r working on dhcp u need to change to static ip first and u can do that by going to network manager in try icon and right click on it and then choice edit connection a window will appear contains some tabs under wired tab click add and it will open another window asking u about ur network information, there in this window u will find three tabs , the first tab called wired too, all what u have to do in this tab is writing ur mac adress, wait i know u cant keep that adress in ur mind so u have to go the edit connections tab teh first window we opened and click on eth 0 connection there it will ask u a password and then it will open u will find ur mac adress there u can copy it for the window of new connection we working on it , after writing ur mac adress in teh first tab go to the last tab that is called ipv4 setting this tab will contain ur information about the network , like the computer ip adress the domain u will work on it and the dns ip , so go there and change it form automatic dhcp to , mannual and start to add the information of ur computer first ur ip adress second ur net mask thirs the gateway ip and go to dns ip write urs there , now there is one thing lift, that u have to write in domain search box , u will write there lan
    together again
    method== mannual
    adress ==ur ip adress ex: 10.0.0.157
    netmask== ur net mask ex:255.0.0.0
    gateway ==ur router gateway
    search domain== lan
    dns server== ur dns ip

now u can go to network form places menu and network will open and choice windows network and after that choice ur netwoork group name and everything will work , now u can see the other windows computers on ur network

note:with this method u can see any windows computer on the network but the windows computer cannot see u and if u want windows computer to see u it another topic and i didnt try it yet
    Last edited by gawadelnil2002; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm on DHCP but I've made sure that my laptop gets the ip of 254.11 and desktop gets 254.10. Is that going to help in any case? Laptop BTW is wireless and desktop is wired to the modem/router

Beans
    Distro

I've come across this samba thingy is this what I'm missing in my case? All I want to do is be able to see, create and edit files from Laptop (Ubuntu) to Desktop (Vista). Doesn't matter if Desktop doesn't get access to the laptop.....

Beans
    Distro

Unable to mount location
    Failed to retreive share list from the server

This is the exact error message

Beans
    Hidden!

I've come across this samba thingy is this what I'm missing in my case? All I want to do is be able to see, create and edit files from Laptop (Ubuntu) to Desktop (Vista). Doesn't matter if Desktop doesn't get access to the laptop.....
    Have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

That article is pretty self exlpnatory hope I do get it right. But how I'm I supposed to get the NETBIOS name of my computer!? I think this is to do with the Vista computer....

Beans
    Hidden!

That article is pretty self exlpnatory hope I do get it right. But how I'm I supposed to get the NETBIOS name of my computer!? I think this is to do with the Vista computer....
    I think in Vista it's called "Computer name" or some such term.
    When setting up the samba part on Ubuntu you can choose anything you like.

EDIT: In Vista you can click on Start->Network and it will show the NETBIOS names of the computers it recognises. In Ubuntu, it's what shows between the "@" and the "$" on the command line prompt.
    Last edited by lisati; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast