Thread: Remove entire Favorites section from launcher

Beans

Remove entire Favorites section from launcher

Is it possible to hide or remove that menu? Since I dont use it, Id rather not have it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Remove entire Favorites section from launcher

You should be able to open alacarte (Preferences->Main Menu) and uncheck the favorites menu. This hides the favorites submenu from the standard gnome menu anyway. I'm not on my netbook at the moment, so I'm not certain that this will hide the favorites menu on the netbook-launcher, but give that a try first if you haven't.

Beans

Like you said, it removed it from the Gnome menu. Though it still appears in the launcher. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Looking at the code, it appears that netbook-launcher is hard-coded to force a Favorites submenu on you if you don't have one _and_ /usr/share/desktop-directories/Favorites.desktop exists. If you remove or rename the system Favorites.desktop file, then the Favorites menu won't be added back if you've unchecked it in alacarte.
    Last edited by Brandon Williams; June 3rd, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

This will remove the favorites-menu:

Remove the menu in the menu editor and remove /usr/share/desktop-entries/Favorites.directory

When both don't exist then the menu won't appear

Beans

I have the opposite problem. I just installed Netbook Remix 9.04 and was just playing around in it. I clicked on "Main Menu" under preferences, and all the tabs disappeared, except "Favorites" (which is now empty), "Preferences" and "Administration". And when I switch to the classic Ubuntu desktop, the "Applications" menu is empty. How do I get these back?