Thread: Installing 9.04 on dead PC

Beans

Angry Installing 9.04 on dead PC

I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 onto my PC which had XP sp3 installed. I had long since given up on ever getting this PC to start up, since I get a hal.dll missing error so it can't start up Windows. But this isn't about fixing XP.

How can I get Ubuntu onto my PC if I can't start up WIndows on it bootable? Do I have to make a CD or flash drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installing 9.04 on dead PC

Quote Originally Posted by kurowoofwoof111 View Post
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 onto my PC which had XP sp3 installed. I had long since given up on ever getting this PC to start up, since I get a hal.dll missing error so it can't start up Windows. But this isn't about fixing XP.

How can I get Ubuntu onto my PC if I can't start up WIndows on it bootable? Do I have to make a CD or flash drive?
    You don't need to have Windows XP to be bootable to install Ubuntu unless you want to install it inside of Windows.

Beans

^So what mechanism lets me install Ubuntu without XP being bootable?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

We use CD's to install Ubuntu the same way you install windows.

You are actually never booting into a previous operating system.

If you get a new computer and it has no operating system installed you can install a operating system using a CD

you may order a Ubuntu CD off the main page for free or you can download a .iso image and burn it to a CD-R or DVD-R ect with suitable space mind you.

then when you boot up your computer you will have your Boot Splash Screen

saying INTEL,HP,DELL,ASUS ect press F12 for Boot options hit that then select CD or if your using some high tech one the boot order is already set to boot from CD Drive by default and should automaticly select it.

it will ask you Press any button to boot from CD hit any button then you will be able to install Ubuntu by just following the menus and inputting correct information as it states.

On a Side Note: We really got to make Ubuntu More user friendly. My mom can't use it so I know its not that user friendly. It still has a long time to go.
    Processor: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 2.60GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Hard Drive(s): 250 GB and 120 External
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT with 512MB VRAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you don't want to fix Windows its easy!
    Download and burn a LiveCD of whichever Ubuntu distro may suit you best on another machine (if you can, otherwise order one for free!)
    Try out a live session then install as your sole OS if you like what you see