Thread: Very Beginner, Manual Install, Help?

Beans

Very Beginner, Manual Install, Help?

Ok, first post here, and sorry to make a new thread, but I did search. I'll try to keep it short. I want to (manual) install Ubuntu (downloaded ~1 month ago) on a hp pavillion dv6985se. I have the 64bit version of Ubuntu (64bit system), and my question is, for the partition, I use ext3, yes? And mount it at "/" if I'm trying to dual boot (with vista)? Many thanks for any help
    Last edited by njstout04; May 31st, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Very Beginner, Manual Install, Help?

Yes. The default format is ext3 and it's stable; by default the first partition will mount at "/".

Might be good for you to search the "Tutorial and Tips" forum for threads about dual booting with Vista.
    The mark of an honest man ... is that he means what he says and knows what he means.
    A.R.

Beans

yes use ext3, ext4 is still new and not that stable yet...
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Yes, at least one partition has to be mounted at / for Linux to function (it's the 'root' of the filesystem, and sorry in advance if you know all this already).

Dual-booting has more to do with the boot loader (in this case Grub) than where you mount the partition. Ubuntu should set that up for you, though.
    Word.
    More Word.
    Maximum Wordage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ext3 is the filesystem you should install Ubuntu on, but I suggest you to create more than just one partition: if you're new to linux and ubuntu you'll probably screw up things (or suppose to), so it might be helpful to create at least two partitions: one partition will mount at / (say 10GB) and the other one at "home".
    This way you won't lose your data (your home directory is located in /home/<your-username>) by reinstalling/formatting/whatever the system.
    Vista will not give a damn about ubuntu (unless you seize its partition)