Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup

I have already tried that. When I use the wizard, the device does not appear in the "Select the device you want to setup" box.

In fact, my daughter's cell phone (which does show on the search list on my office Thinkpad) does not appear on the list for my ubuntu Dell. It acts like it is not on, or is not searching, or is not receptive.

Thanks

Beans

The prescribed solution, using hal-system-smbios, does not work for me. I'm using Jaunty on a Dell E6400. The utility program crashes with a message about "corrupted double-linked list."

However, as necessity is the mother of invention, I script-kiddied my way to a python-based solution. It's a command line utility that takes one argument "on" or "off".

For what it's worth.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The best way I have found in 9.10 is to add the following line to /etc/rc.local
    Code:
    rfkill block bluetooth
    This makes it so that (on my HP DV5t anyway) bluetooth is off when I first boot/login, but I can still turn it back on with the bluetooth applet that is in the notification area by default (if it isn't there you can add it to the panel). This is exactly what I wanted, so for me, anyway, this is a win.
    Last edited by Wollombi; December 1st, 2009 at 06:57 AM.

Beans

Are you certain that rfkill is actually turning off your bluetooth adaptor (to save power)? On my Dell, rfkill simply disables the bluetooth software, but the adaptor is still active and the LED remains on. In order to really disable it, I must run:

smbios-wireless-ctl --bt=0

Unfortunately, since this disables the adaptor entirely, bluetooth-applet disappears since it thinks there is no bluetooth adaptor present. Basically, bluetooth-applet/HAL needs to support these smbios commands directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a Dell Studio 1555 and want to have bluetooth turned off at startup but still be able to turn it on when I need it. I've read several suggested methods, but I'm not sure which to use for my system.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction, please?
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Wollombi View Post
    Code:
    rfkill block bluetooth
    This makes it so that (on my HP DV5t anyway) bluetooth is off when I first boot/login, but I can still turn it back on with the bluetooth applet that is in the notification area by default (if it isn't there you can add it to the panel). This is exactly what I wanted, so for me, anyway, this is a win.
    Thanks for posting this solution. It seems to work perfectly with my Thinkpad T60. Panel functionality remains, but bluetooth is off by default after a reboot. Perfect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Code:
    rfkill block bluetooth
    I can confirm that this also worked for me in Ubuntu 10.04 on my Thinkpad W510. Now, the bluetooth LED on the laptop defaults to off on bootup, and the bluetooth applet reports the same. I can still turn it on and off manually using the applet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu should really just remember the last radio state by default, for WiFi too. I've made a brainstorm idea advocating this:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24893/

Go vote it up!

Beans

Code:
    rfkill block bluetooth
    Thanks! Works for me on Dell XPS1530 / Ubuntu Lucid, bluetooth light is off and applet allows to enable it.

Beans

Hmm, on my XPS M1530, "rfkill block bluetooth" does NOT power off the bluetooth adapter nor does the light turn off, it simply disables it, just like the applet icon does. "smbios-wireless-ctl --st_bt" shows that bluetooth is still enabled. Also running Lucid, I wonder what could be different?

Do you also have the Dell/Broadcom 355 Bluetooth adaptor (BCM2046)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast