Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup

Beans

Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup [SOLVED]

Hi,

My ubuntu 9.04 works great on my Dell Vostro 1400, everything works flawlessly! I can turn off bluetooth manually if I right click the Bluetooth icon > Preferences > "General Tab" > Uncheck "Dell Bluetooth Switch" and that will correctly turn off my bluetooth.

Is there any way to have it unchecked at startup? As I would only like to turn it on when I need to.

-------------------------------------------------------

Q: Bluetooth works fine, how do I turn it off (saving power) while still having the option to enable it when I need it?

A:
    Turn OFF bluetooth:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/hal/hal-system-smbios --bt 0
    Turn ON bluetooth:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/hal/hal-system-smbios --bt 1
    Check bluetooth status:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/hal/hal-system-smbios --st_bt ; echo $?
    Append "/usr/lib/hal/hal-system-smbios --bt 0" to /etc/init.d/bluetooth to turn bluetooth off at startup

If you need to use bluetooth, goto: System > Preferences > Bluetooth, this will re-enable Bluetooth.

Works perfectly on Dell Vostro 1400
    Last edited by encore2097; May 31st, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup

If you want, you can disable it altogether in the BIOS. That's what I've done for my Dell laptop
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

I'd rather not do that because I use it from time to time and it would not be efficient to have to go into the BIOS everytime I need to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

System>Preferences>Startup Applications

uncheck Bluetooth
    Last edited by Mirages; May 30th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

No, disabling the bluetooth-applet from startup just disables the control while leaving my bluetooth on. That is not a solution.

If someone could tell me a terminal command for bluetooth-applet that will let me turn off the "Dell Bluetooth Switch" then i could just add it to a startup script or something. Effectively resolving my issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Edit /etc/default/bluetooth and change the line "BLUETOOTH_ENABLED=1" to "BLUETOOTH_ENABLED=0"

Beans

Same issue...

going through the bluez source right now to figure out how their "killswitch" works... its the only thing that actually turns off the BT module correcetly (light goes off BT app unloads because it is set to "Only when adapter is present")

Beans

Solved: see first post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup [SOLVED]

Maybe you can help me. I veified that bluetooth is on using the command listed above and it returned a "1". My Dell BT Travel mouse is on and blinking, but the computer (XPS M1330) does not see it in "Device Search". Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Disable Dell Bluetooth / Turn Off at Startup [SOLVED]

Quote Originally Posted by davethebald View Post
    Maybe you can help me. I veified that bluetooth is on using the command listed above and it returned a "1". My Dell BT Travel mouse is on and blinking, but the computer (XPS M1330) does not see it in "Device Search". Any ideas?

Thanks
    Bluetooth devices do not automatically pair up. Click on the bluetooth icon on the taskbar, and then use the manager or wizard to pair up your device with your computer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast