Thread: frequency out of range?

Beans

Unhappy frequency out of range?

(yes i misspelled frequency.... sorry... kinda rushed today XD)
    Ok, i am rather new to Ubuntu and love it so far however i am having a slight issue. Any time i try to fire up my computer i keep getting a black screen that says frequency out of range. I hooked up my tower to an older computer and changed the settings to 60 mhz, and the resolution to 1024x768. Now i have an emachine flat screen monitor that can go up to 1024x768. Yet each time i turn on my computer i am getting that dreaded screen. Does anyone have any suggestions on why it doesn't like my newer screen but works perfectly on my older one? I have been fighting this problem for almost a week and would love some advice. my only ubuntu savy friend is out of the state right now.
    Last edited by milesorvana; May 29th, 2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: frequency out of range?

Hi and welcome, what is the model of the graphics card, version of Ubuntu?
    Can you reach command line with the ctrl, alt, F1 keys and are you able to hear the login sounds?

Beans

Yes i can reach the command line, i am using 9.01 and i can still hear sounds. As to the graphic card i am not sure. It is still factory make, i have not added anything to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

milesorvana,

I had the same problem when I installed 8.04.2. I then connected a larger monitor on which the resolution worked, went to System > Preferences > Screen Resolution, switched the resolution to 800x600 (you might need to try another), reattached the original monitor (800x600 worked) and then went back to Screen Resolution and changed it to 1024x768 - worked.

You also might try Applications > Accessories > Terminal:
    Code:
    xrandr -s 1024x768
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jmszr; May 29th, 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

Well i did something similar before, however it does work. I am currently using the max resolution however when i turn off the computer and try to turn it back on i keep getting the frequency out of range message.

Beans

Another weird thing that i noticed is that i set up the auto login. Now when i turn the computer off and back on. It will load the basic ubuntu but before the login screen comes up it says frequency out of range. Then about 10 seconds late it will log me in and i get to my desktop. It is like the only part that is having issues is that login screen.

Beans
    Hidden!

I had a similar error message when I had 9.04 installed on one of my machines (mine showed "signal out of range"). It's likely to be a screen resolution issue, with more than one possible solution.

The workaround I used was to edit grub's menu.lst file and change the line that reads
    # defoptions=quiet splash
    to read
    Code:
    # defoptions=quiet nosplash
    , save the file, and then use
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

o.0 well uh... i am still noobish to tech speak. any chance of an english translation?