Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Google Wave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Google Wave

Yes, but I imagine people will find a way to get around that. How about separate address books for separate places?
    As mentioned above, there's really no need for that. XMPP which Wave is based on has no problem handling multi-user collaboration where users are not contacts of one another. So there's nothing to get around, Wave should already have this ability built in.

Seems as if people are creating their own limitations for Wave just based on a video they saw, which certainly didn't expose all of it's capabilities.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monsterstack View Post
    They're essentially pushing for it to become a fundamental feature of the internet itself. A lofty goal, you might think.
    They've already achieved an even loftier goal - becoming synonimous to "search".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monsterstack View Post
    Mmm. I can't wait to get to use it in practice. The extensions look pretty amazing, really. Users tagging stuff, setting chunks of text as bug reports, linking relevant material.
    The ability to have a bot to tie text into bugs would certainly make the development cycle testing subforums e.g. much less painful
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Angeles View Post
    well there seems to be a wave client... a piece of software that installs on the computer.

its just that if we ever expect anybody to release linux apps, we need to be more vocal about it.
    I'm pretty sure that by "client" the Google guy (Lars Rasmussen?) is referring to the web interface.

Beans

One of the things that flew right over my head whilst watching the video was that I have arranged my online stuff to work in a largely similar fashion. I use Thunderbird for pretty much everything. I keep a throwaway email address with which I use to sign comments on blogs and forums and things. I then use the forum or blog software to sign up for just about every notification thing going, and have it all beamed into Thunderbird with gmail's IMAP features separating the information into categories and threaded discussion and stuff. It's one of the reasons I'm sometimes so quick to respond on threads around here It can take a while to set everything up so it works smoothly, but once you have, then you can use Thunderbird to bring you news, emails, discussions you're a part of, and anything else you can think of, and it keeps you permanently up-to-date with the rest of the world. How useful is all this? Well I haven't had to use this forum's "Search" feature at all, and I've never had to trawl through Firefox's browse history to find my bits and pieces. How many users can honestly say the same?

The thing about Wave is that it will give me the same functionality but without me having to do all that legwork before-hand, and it removes the need to follow the links to the site in question to post new messages, and tonnes of other benefits too. Hoping they hurry up and get a working release out the door soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Erunno View Post
    I'm pretty sure that by "client" the Google guy (Lars Rasmussen?) is referring to the web interface.
    The client can be anything - there is a wave 'protocol'. The Google web interface is the main/first 'client' - Google demonstrated a command line client at the launch.
    Linux User #381008
    Ubuntu User #22532

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyArcher View Post
    No, it's not true. That would be ridiculous. Only those who are added to the wave can see it and edit content. As for the blogs, it's visible in a read-only mode to outsiders.

Anyway, it's still in very early pre-beta (or even pre-alpha?) stage, it was just a preview. They still have a bunch of stuff to iron out, and they'll do it. It would be a useful tool. I recall myself planning a trip abroad a few months ago with all the posting links in IM windows thing... Wave would've made it so much smoother.
    that's what i meant, anyone added to a wave can edit the content... i'm not sure i like this. it's good in a collaborative message, but Wave is also to be used like email. in which case i don't want people to edit messages.

Beans
    Hidden!

I really like the documentation idea. As the video showed with collaboration, you can start a wave that is meant to document something (like, for example, installing ATI drivers) and then every can jump on board and make changes and clean it up, much like a wiki, and then when it is completed you can copy the state into a fresh wave, much like they showed in the video. Of course this is similar to the way wikis work, with the one main advantage is that by being "email like" it gives people more of a reason to participate because they keep being reminded of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Angeles View Post
    well there seems to be a wave client... a piece of software that installs on the computer.
    No there doesn't. You can clearly see it running in chrome or safari (with a bit of FF 3.5). They clearly state 'all this is running in the browser' on more than one occasion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a user and there is no installation. One bad thing though is that it don't work on IE which makes it impossible for me to run it on my work computer. I am not allowed to download and install things there.
    Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe | Graphic card: Ati Radeon 1950 pro | Wifi: RTL8187

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456