Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "How To" make ATI Catalyst Play Nice with Compiz - Xserver

Beans

Re: "How To" make ATI Catalyst Play Nice with Compiz - Xserver

Hey, I installed 9.10 on my computer and I have an ATI 4850. Can I just change the names on your instructions and use it just the same?

Beans

Same for me! I just installed karmic koala beta, but I see the repos are for jaunty... Is it the same if use them?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Farrugia View Post
    Just want to report that my problem has solved itself.

Installed Karmic 64bit beta. Added the ATI driver via the Hardware Driver menu.

Also had to install linux-firmware non-free and libxine-all-plugins to get kaffeine to work! Kaffeine version 1.0 was installed via synaptic.

Hooray! TV and desktop effects enabled!

Keeping my fingers crossed this continues to work!
    You didn't do anything more to make the drivers work well? Neither using this thread's guide? You simply installed the drivers from the menu drivers and everything was well?

Beans

Just checking old posts and saw your reply.

Yes no more problems with Karmic and Kaffeine with dvb-t and ati4670ultimate and effects. Some shearing of video occasionally. The wobbley tv window is weird! Guess the x-org guys have been busy getting newer cards to play nice. Only problem was I tried to install latest catalyst from ati and that screwed things up. Must remember to stick to the repositories for stability.

Beans

I get these errors on my V7700 ATI FireGL Pity cannoteven run 3D on linux. need help otherwise have to go Back to M$

Code:
    $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

Current Operating System: Linux Ubuntucosmos 2.6.31-9-rt #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 15 13:22:24 UTC 2009 x86_64
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized. 
    (EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.
    (EE) fglrx(0): PPLIB: PPLIB is not initialized!.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ozkhalsa View Post
    I get these errors on my V7700 ATI FireGL Pity cannoteven run 3D on linux. need help otherwise have to go Back to M$

Code:
    $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

Current Operating System: Linux Ubuntucosmos 2.6.31-9-rt #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 15 13:22:24 UTC 2009 x86_64
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized. 
    (EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.
    (EE) fglrx(0): PPLIB: PPLIB is not initialized!.

Sorry, I haven't checked the thread in a long time.

I have a FireGL v5700 and it is really a HD3650. I think your FireGL is really a HD3870.

What steps have you taken to install the Catalyst?

-----------
    Dam last activity November 5th 2009
    Darn ATI driving away would-be Linux users
    Last edited by HunterThomson; January 7th, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

I don't understand if we can try the same thing with karmic by changing the ppa repos. I'm stuck with kwin as kde4-window-decorator crashes when launching compiz.

Beans
    Distro

Ya, AMD/ATI Still have not fixed this. Heck they have even come out with new graphics cards that have this problem....

In any case. Ya, you need to install a patched Xserver with "No-Backfill" if your having problems. If the ppa I link to is no longer good (I bet it is not) and just changing the name to the current vertion of Ubuntu will not work. Then you will have to find an uptodate one. If you find it please post here and I will update the HowTo.

As of now I sold my elitebook with the HD 3650 and am using nvidia now.

One thing I will say, If you don't play games all the time I'd use the Open driver. That is what I did when I had my elitebook with a HD 3650. The the Open driver is not as good with 3D but is rocks the house in every other aspect. You can still play "Quake Live" and "Tribal Truble 2" and even Open Arena is playable. I think also Super Tux Kart.

The xf86-video-ati

Owe also the Open Source driver has limited power saving features depending on what GPU you have. So, it "could" get hotter.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    Ya, AMD/ATI Still have not fixed this. Heck they have even come out with new graphics cards that have this problem....

In any case. Ya, you need to install a patched Xserver with "No-Backfill" if your having problems. If the ppa I link to is no longer good (I bet it is not) and just changing the name to the current vertion of Ubuntu will not work. Then you will have to find an uptodate one. If you find it please post here and I will update the HowTo.

As of now I sold my elitebook with the HD 3650 and am using nvidia now.

One thing I will say, If you don't play games all the time I'd use the Open driver. That is what I did when I had my elitebook with a HD 3650. The the Open driver is not as good with 3D but is rocks the house in every other aspect. You can still play "Quake Live" and "Tribal Truble 2" and even Open Arena is playable. I think also Super Tux Kart.

The xf86-video-ati

Owe also the Open Source driver has limited power saving features depending on what GPU you have. So, it "could" get hotter.
    I prefer the backclear patch rather than no backfill.

https://launchpad.net/~bryceharrington/+archive/violet

Beans
    Distro

Ya, your right. I here the backclear is WAY better, because it doesn't splash that garbage on the screen for the split second when a window is opening.

I'll up date this HowTo to use that one.

EDIT: Done. Updated to use that one. Thanks
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 21st, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast